EGT temp on Duramax ?

Just Mike

if you go to the dieselplace.com you can get a good source of information there..

i have heard so many different numbers, its ridiculous

13-1400 for short bursts, then never above 12-1300 while travelling for me. one guy i know says his magic number is 1600, but i know that is hot enough to melt aluminum.

i just did a seach on google and here is what i came up with

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=a...mp;aq=f&oq=

the fins on the turbo are aluminum

Thanks Jason. This is what I found on there.

Maximum sustained egt is around 1350. At around 1700-1800 i believe aluminum starts to become pretty fragile and melt, so you wouldnt want your egt to peak that high for more than a couple of seconds

I never take my truck above 1350 for short periods of time. My Edge programmer has an alarm to notify me when it gets that high. If you down shift and get the rpm's higher it will cool down the temps real quick.

I never take my truck above 1350 for short periods of time. My Edge programmer has an alarm to notify me when it gets that high. If you down shift and get the rpm's higher it will cool down the temps real quick.

im not callin bullsheeet, but i dont understand how higher rpms...making the engine work harder.....makes the egts go down :laughing::laughing: kicks the fan on??? turbo kicks in??

Usually when you down shift (higher RPM) especially when towing, the engine isnt lugging anymore and more air through turbo and exhaust.

ok...makes sense...thanks paul....

i think i need to get rid of my cat...ive got so much soot falling out of the tailpipe its freekin disgusting...i can just imagine what the kitty looks like :laughing:

dan-o said

Down shift this !! MUFFHUGGERS...........................

back from the dead second LP here we go

jeeezuz dan where you been brotha???

Usually when you down shift (higher RPM) especially when towing, the engine isnt lugging anymore and more air through turbo and exhaust.

Yeah, what he said!!!

I didn't believe it till I watched it on the display. It will go down 200-300 degrees real fast.

Yeah, what he said!!!

I didn't believe it till I watched it on the display. It will go down 200-300 degrees real fast.

^^^^^^

^^^^^

that works... I have seen it with my own eyes.

I have the LLY and when going up huge grades I let mine get to 1350 to 1400 constant with no problems... I have seen 1600 on accident 1 time lol :laughing: almost had a heart attack

Capt

PS... Hi Dan :laughing:

I haven't had my truck out towing since I put the gauge in but I used to go by the water temp. When it would get above 210 I would just drop down a gear and the water temp would come right down. One day I will get the thing re-geared and that should help as well.

I haven't had my truck out towing since I put the gauge in but I used to go by the water temp. When it would get above 210 I would just drop down a gear and the water temp would come right down. One day I will get the thing re-geared and that should help as well.

:ah: OOOOf, you went by the water temp??? :headbang1::laughing:

I usually don't let it get over 1450 degrees (manifold temp). I have seen higher for VERY short bursts, but I let off if it does. I've heard many stories of 1200-1300 sustained for hours and hours straight and no issues.

It's funny though. If you take a stock a$$ D-Max with NO programming, install a pyro, and hold your foot to the floor while towing...your EGT's will peg the effin gauge past 1600 degrees. :headbang1: So 1450-1500 for short intervals is nothing for these motors.

:ah: OOOOf, you went by the water temp??? :headbang1::laughing:

That was all I had to go by. Not very accyrate I know. That is wht I installed the Gauges. Didn't seem to matter when I had my pull behind but it does get hot now with the fifth wheel.

• 1 month later...