Pullin Doubles

GGZOBZ

Hello all.

As background info: I pull a 2006 Weekend Warrior 4005 5th Wheel with my lifted 2006 Ford F350 Crew Cab/Short box.

I was considering the next purchase (a RZR S) and of course, I dont have enough room for the toys I have. At the moment, the only way I can haul my stuff is to put the Rhino (with 2" spacers and deep offset ITPs) in the Kitchen and close the living room slider after the Rhinos tied down then stack the quads to the back.

This poses 2 problems. (1), I cant go long travel on the Rhino, because it wont fit between the wall and the closed slider and (2) without getting rid of some stuff, Obviously, I cant even think about another SxS.

(My wife refuses to pull a trailer, so a second pull rig is out of the question)

I have seen a number of 5th wheels on the road with a hitch installed and pulling another smaller trailer behind it. If I do this, It solves all of the above problems. I already have a small single axle 12' Big Tex trailer that would work perfectly. I could put the Rhino (with new LT of course) in the little trailer and load the rest in the WW.

QUESTIONS:

Does anyone on the DDR forums do this regularly?

How well does it work?

Is this setup tough to pull?

Are there any funky governmental licensing requirements (doubles endorsement, etc) or length limitations in play here??

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here is the endorsment list for nevada

Class A is required to drive combination vehicles, such as tractor-trailers, with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the vehicle being towed has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more.

Class B is required to drive single vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds; the operator may tow a vehicle weighing 10,000 pounds GVWR or less.

Class C is for cars, vans, pickups, mopeds, and other vehicles with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or less; allows towing of a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less.

Class M is for motorcycles. If you drive a motorcycle and a Class A, B, or C vehicle, your license will show both classes, provided you have met all other requirements. Additionally, Nevada has a Class M license with a U Restriction that limits riders to mopeds, trimobiles, and motorcycles that are less than 90 cc and do not exceed 6½ horsepower.

See Motorcycles, Mopeds & Bicycles.

Endorsement J Allows Class C license to tow a vehicle over 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Additional written and skills tests are required.

Endorsement R Allows Class C license to tow a combination of vehicles not to exceed 70 feet in length. Additional written and skills tests are required.

Endorsement F For firefighters, farmers and military members who drive non-commercial heavy equipment. This endorsement is a limited exemption from commercial licensing requirements.

Restriction A Must wear corrective eye lenses (glasses or contacts).

Restriction P Commercial driver required to obtain a physical exam every two years.

Restriction X Issued in a variety of circumstances such as driving only on a specific route or during specific hours or driving only a certain type of vehicle. The restrictions will be listed on the back of the license or in an official statement the motorist must carry.

Hope this helps

Here is the endorsment list for nevada

Class A is required to drive combination vehicles, such as tractor-trailers, with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the vehicle being towed has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more.

. .

Class C is for cars, vans, pickups, mopeds, and other vehicles with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or less; allows towing of a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less.

. . .

Endorsement J Allows Class C license to tow a vehicle over 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Additional written and skills tests are required.

Endorsement R Allows Class C license to tow a combination of vehicles not to exceed 70 feet in length. Additional written and skills tests are required.

. . .

Hope this helps

I am from Las Vegas (born and bred).

Looks like its going to be close. I think that the total combined length is right at 70 feet. I will check out the endorsement R requirements.

Thanks a ton.

It's not Nevada that's the issue. It's California, there restrictions on pulling double include ; your trailer ie fifth wheel cannot exceed 27' and the towed trailer must have electric brakes andf the whole length CANNOT exceed 65'. If your going to Ca. you may want to look at their laws. They can and have made people drop their trailers in the middle of no whaere and come back for them. I wouldn't want my toys sitting by the side of the road. Just an FYI

Last time I checked 65 ft was it for california, without a special permit. I pull a 50 ft enclosed with my dodge quad cab longbed. I am at 64 ft 9 inches last time I checked, and I may have added a couple inches on the front bumper. I have never been pulled over in California, and have been through most of the state many times. If my truck ever gets wrecked Ill have to find anothe quad cab, cause a four door or mega cab puts it way way over lenght.

I would guess the cgvw to be way over 26k also, thats not a problem, I had to get the nev non cdl class a. My license even says doubles/triples, even though I only tested with my single trailer due to the over 26k cgvw. I d bet the back up test would be pretty hard. The only reason I passed mine was due to the angle of the sun....lol.