HID's swapped into Hella 550 off road lights.....

anti bling

my stock 1979 chevy headlights SUCK! i needed some more light so...

i had a set of hella 550 off road/driving lights that were sitting on my shelf in the garage. so i started to wire up the truck to add them. my buddy sent me a link about his friend that was selling HID kits for $100 shipped.

Direct Connection Tuning - HID Kits

i ordered a set to try them out. i figured that the cost was cheep enough to at least try out. i started by mounting the lights on my front bumper and pulling the grill to access a mounting location for the HID ballasts. i mounted a relay near the battery and ran my wires. the H3 HID bulbs slid light into the lens just fine. but i had to drill a hole in the back of the housing for the larger plugs to pass though. i mounted the ballasts on the core support with the plugs pointed down so water would not get into them. i thought that they would get good cooling there as well and they were close to the lights. i tested the system and then reinstalled the grill.

i think i'm into these light about $175. $75 bucks for the lights from the local autoparts store (checker) and $100 for the HID kit.

the light output is GREAT!!! i ordered the 6000k lights. they put out only pure white light. no blue/purple light here. the light pattern is just about perfect and 3x brighter. I'm thinking about adding another set and if i can find a set of projector bulbs for the factory headlight i will swap those as well. now when I'm out in the desert I'll have enough light to see where I'm going.

now all i need is better suspension and more POWER! :offtopic:

mounting position for the ballasts and light.....

1209081706.jpg

finished with install.......

1209081720.jpg

testing lights before grill reinstall......

1209081709.jpg

DDM tuning has them for a good price too. did they have your stock bulbs???

ddm tuning had the stock bulbs for my 2500hd, and i just switched them out. i can see 50 yds ahead of me now!! :offtopic:

they had the H3 bulbs for the Hella's. looking for replacment headlight housings for the sealed bulbs in my stock headlights. if i can find somethings that will retrofit some projetor style lamps i'll be installing HID's into the stock headlight locations. hmmm.... maybe i'll just add some projector driving lights where the headlights go.. i hate the way HID's glare all over the place when installed into stock headlight housings.

they had the H3 bulbs for the Hella's. looking for replacment headlight housings for the sealed bulbs in my stock headlights. if i can find somethings that will retrofit some projetor style lamps i'll be installing HID's into the stock headlight locations. hmmm.... maybe i'll just add some projector driving lights where the headlights go.. i hate the way HID's glare all over the place when installed into stock headlight housings.

i know what you mean. mine doesnt do it too bad though. the benefit far outweighs that factor, imo