Pullrite superglide 5th wheel hitch issue

Tim2115

Hello,   I have a 5th wheel pullrite superglide hitch.   Bought it used last october for our 2007 gearbox.  This is our first trailer and have had no issues with hitch until recently.   For some reason,  jaws will not close around kingpin.   It seems like it's not letting the hitch get far enough back so the jaws can wrap around it.   Anyone else have a similar issue?   I have taken apart the hitch to get a closer look but cannot see anything obvious.   There is a little bit of play in the jaws but I don't think that's the issue.   Any help would be great.   Thanks.   

Edited by Tim2115

Thanks for the response.  Are you referring to spring on locking handle?   If so,  that's not broken - maybe a bit weaker.  The jaws seem to work correctly when just doing it manually (not on trailer) so not sure if that is it.   I will take another look at it though.   

2 hours ago, Tim2115 said:

Thanks for the response.  Are you referring to spring on locking handle?   If so,  that's not broken - maybe a bit weaker.  The jaws seem to work correctly when just doing it manually (not on trailer) so not sure if that is it.   I will take another look at it though.   

If your for some reason backing in and the trailer pin is a little high it will also block the jaws from closing. When you do it by hand you may have just enough force to manually close them. I come on to the truck hitch with the bottom of the trailer pin box sliding onto the truck hitch if that make s any sense. Also make sure you grease/lube the jaws where they meet in the back.