SB 742 - what's it all about?

Many of you have probably already heard mention of a California Senate Bill that is working its way through the legislative system right not.

It's a terrible piece of legislation that could, all drama aside, truly hurt OHV use in the State of California and since Dumont is in California, Dumont users need to get involved.

This legislation will effect OHV registration fees, state vehicle recreation area (like Pismo) fees, disappearing grant monies (the root of our increased Dumont fees) and much more.

It was introduced by a democrat, Senator Steinberg, and first I'd like to stop and explain how the process started and how it works.

Everyone at one time or another has said "there oughta be a law..." and, well, that's how it starts. Let's say I believe that all fire hydrants should be painted black and I want a law to be passed making it so. My next step is to start fishing for a legislative representative to put it out there... I talk to my senator and ask them to help me pass this law and they write the legislation and then we all start working on support. It goes through a several committees and then it lands on the senate floor for a vote and if it is approved, it goes into law.

SB742 was started by anti-access people and the main "carrot" of this legislation is that it will extend the life of the Off Highway Motor Vehicle Division. It's a very attractive carrot for us, I'm afraid, and they know it.

Now... I'll post again in a minute and explain why that's such an attractive carrot and share more information on this legislation. For now I have to finish a project though... shouldn't take me long and I'm sorry to cut this short.

Vicki W