douchebags trash private property, giving off road community a black eye

Richard Cheese

:ynot:

http://www.bakersfield.com/hourly_news/story/672126.html

Authorities say they’re adopting a “zero tolerance” policy toward off-road vehicle use on private land in the southern Tehachapi Mountains following a series of complaints from property owners.

Riders found on private land without permission will no longer be given a warning and instead will be cited for trespassing, said Sgt. Richard Wood, of the Kern County Sheriff’s Department Tehachapi substation.

The violation carries fines that can range from less than $100 for a first offense to more than $1,000 for subsequent violations.

The policy change comes after an enforcement operation last weekend near Rosamond by the Sheriff’s Department’s off-road vehicle team.

Deputies encountered about 50 riders preparing to ride on private land in the area between the southern Tehachapis, Rosamond and Mojave without permission. :?:

Sheriff’s officials said many of the people they encountered had been given warnings previously.

“Sooner or later, you can only warn people so much,” Wood said. “Then you have to have some enforcement and make it a little painful for people to come up here” to ride.

Property owners believe off-roaders come to ride on the vast expanse of open land thinking no one will notice. However, land owners are liable for accidents and many say their fences have been cut, land destroyed and animals harassed.

Up to now, authorities have taken an educational approach to illegal off-road use, warning those found on private land they shouldn’t be there and providing maps and information on where they can legally ride. But the results of last weekend’s enforcement, and the escalating complaints from landowners, have prompted tougher action.

Wood hopes word will spread in the off-road community about the zero-tolerance approach and deter future trespassing. Off-roading is not allowed anywhere in the area unless it’s done on one’s personal property or is authorized by a landowner, he said.

The action was welcomed by Off-Road Vehicle Watch Kern County, a newly formed group of area residents who want a solution to the problem.

“We couldn't be more pleased that our sheriff’s department is taking care of us,” said Mesonika Piecuch, the group’s spokeswoman.

While the group mainly consists of residents, Piecuch said representatives from the Kern Wind Energy Association turned out to a recent meeting and mentioned problems with vandalism and property damage on wind farms. A 10- to 15-mile stretch of the Pacific Crest Trail has also been damaged by off-road vehicles, according to the Bureau of Land Management.

While the group is happy with the attention to the problem, it also wants a new county ordinance for off-roading. Piecuch said the ordinance would be similar to one in San Bernardino County that requires a permit when groups of 10 or more riders stages in an area.

It would also allow authorities to write citations that could be handled in traffic court. Most trespassing violations are now prosecuted by the District Attorney’s office, where they compete with more high-profile crimes such as murder, assault and drunk driving.

i am sick of being lumped into the same group as douchebags like this. too bad they didnt get ticketed this time.

I took a local day trip to Stoddard Wells a couple of weeks ago and my first stop was at Wild Wash Road. I had some buddies that rode there and I thought it was part of the OHV area.

I went for a little warm up ride with bigtruckdrmr and when I got back to the truck I had a ticket on the windshield and the sheriffs were checking out the other camps (there were about 5 other trucks).

Luckily it was just a warning with a map that showed legal places to ride in S.B. county. The sheriff came over and told me that they are really just there to inform people that it is no longer a legal place to ride due to it being private property.

He was really cool about it and also said that people have been riding there for years and simply don't know the boundaries since they are not marked.

There are cases of mistakes like mine, but, if you have been told it is illegal to ride there because it is private property and you still come back, then you should be fined.

Trespassing ? maybe.

While the group is happy with the attention to the problem, it also wants a new county ordinance for off-roading. Piecuch said the ordinance would be similar to one in San Bernardino County that requires a permit when groups of 10 or more riders stages in an area

This is all anti access :usa: 'n bullshiet