Lost fuel prime in diesel pusher

bwells

Need some help, I had air get into the fuel line of my 5.9L cummins diesel pusher. The question is it is in my drive way on an incline. I have tried just about everything to get it primed with no luck. Herre is the question, can the coach being on an incline be part of my troubles in get it primed? Any ideas.

Need some help, I had air get into the fuel line of my 5.9L cummins diesel pusher. The question is it is in my drive way on an incline. I have tried just about everything to get it primed with no luck. Herre is the question, can the coach being on an incline be part of my troubles in get it primed? Any ideas.

I had a cat which ran out of fuel, I found a Pump handle located near the fuel filters that allowed you to prime the filters thus the motor. I know Cummins has a 24 hr service # but I couldn't find it. Hope that helps

brian wells from bakersfield??

anyway, on my duramax, there is a hand fuel pump located on top of the fuel filter that allows you to hand prime the motor...do you have anything like that?

If there's no manual pump on either the injector pump or near the filters then you can have a helper crank the motor while you man the wrench and get the same effect. You may have to bleed the air from each injector line individually if it's really being a pain. Basically just crack open the flare nut on the line at the injector end, crank the motor over or pump till no more air comes out then tighten it back up. Sometimes if you stop pumping fuel before you tighten the line back up it can suck a little air back in just like bleeding your brakes if you're not holding the pedal down.

Once it fires rev it up for a few seconds to blow any remaining air through the lines.

I have a 5.9 pusher, been through the drill plenty. Access under the bed, on the left side of block look down and you'll see the lift pump bolted right above the pan. Look close and you'll see (feel) a big button, use a wooden hammer, push the button with the end of the handle (gives some leverage and you're not hanging upside down), keep pushing till you hear the pressure release in the fuel return off the injector pump. Sometimes that's enough to do it, if not look for your fuel filter/water separator, mines right above the lift pump, has 2 fuel fittings, 1 has a bleeder bolt in the top, the other has the fuel return from the injectors on it. Crack the bleeder open a little and push the lift pump prime button till you see fuel and no bubbles, tighten the bleeder and try to start again. If that doesn't do it the crack the injector return line open at the fuel filter/seperator and crank it over a few until no bubbles if you have an assistant or for 30 seconds if no help, tigthen the bolt and then try it. This is the sequence that works on my 5.9. good luck. Oh yeah, sometimes the fuel shot off solenoid either sticks or battery voltage is low, turn the key to RUN position and look for an electrical solenoid attached to your fuel injection pump and look/feel for the lever and with the key on it should be energized and have the shaft retracted, if it's not just lift up on it and it will retract if the solenoid isn't bad. OK, that should be it with any luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 5.9 pusher, been through the drill plenty. Access under the bed, on the left side of block look down and you'll see the lift pump bolted right above the pan. Look close and you'll see (feel) a big button, use a wooden hammer, push the button with the end of the handle (gives some leverage and you're not hanging upside down), keep pushing till you hear the pressure release in the fuel return off the injector pump. Sometimes that's enough to do it, if not look for your fuel filter/water separator, mines right above the lift pump, has 2 fuel fittings, 1 has a bleeder bolt in the top, the other has the fuel return from the injectors on it. Crack the bleeder open a little and push the lift pump prime button till you see fuel and no bubbles, tighten the bleeder and try to start again. If that doesn't do it the crack the injector return line open at the fuel filter/seperator and crank it over a few until no bubbles if you have an assistant or for 30 seconds if no help, tigthen the bolt and then try it. This is the sequence that works on my 5.9. good luck. Oh yeah, sometimes the fuel shot off solenoid either sticks or battery voltage is low, turn the key to RUN position and look for an electrical solenoid attached to your fuel injection pump and look/feel for the lever and with the key on it should be energized and have the shaft retracted, if it's not just lift up on it and it will retract if the solenoid isn't bad. OK, that should be it with any luck.

The pusher is back on the road. Check this out, first I had to pull it out of the drive way. Once on the street I filled the fuel canester up with diesel, second cracked the fuel injectors and last took the fuel cap off, placed an air hose in the fuel neck with a towel and tried to start. After doing this two times the hog started.

The pusher is back on the road. Check this out, first I had to pull it out of the drive way. Once on the street I filled the fuel canester up with diesel, second cracked the fuel injectors and last took the fuel cap off, placed an air hose in the fuel neck with a towel and tried to start. After doing this two times the hog started.

Way to go :beercheers: Us backyard mechanics can be slick at times, if only we could remember to not scratch our arse with greasy hands :yiah: