Flav H20

ash

Okay, I have 2 daughters ages 7 and 9, both go to the same elementary school where they sell Flav H20. They advertise it as Refreshing water with a "fruity splash". This stuff is nothing but liquid sugar that is being sold for $1.00 a can and to make matters worse, the school is now putting stickers under some cans and say to the kids that if they get an H20 with a sticker, they get a free treat at the Snack Shack.

My girls are not allowed to have these things but their little friends insist on being little bastards and tease them that they can't have an H20. That's really the least of my concerns, my biggest concern is the fact that the school is allowing the sale of this sh*t. If schools can't sell Diet Coke, how can they justify the sale of sugar water?

Okay now for the kicker, on the can it says John 14:6. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this cross the line when it comes to religion in the school? John 14:6 says, "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Give me some good input fellow DDR peeps, I'm going to approach the school about taking this stuff out of the school and petition that what's good for a high school should be good enough for elementary when it comes to nutrition.

I'd start by getting opinions from some other parents. The thinking ones and not the typical sheep thats headed to slaughter. I doubt your the only one.

It sounds as if there are several people involved to push this stuff. I'd also check into who markets the product and where its produced. Bet ya someone at the school is getting some sort of kickback as well.

This company is pretty slick, I guess they didn't bet someone like me would put the can under a microscope and find the little things such as NO expiration date, John 14:6 and in little fine print within the photo, " 0% juice" typed in to blend into the Kiwi Fruit.

I am going to the next PTA meeting and bringing it up there and get a consensus from other parents. Nick I'm with you, it was either water or milk and if I ever thought about bringing any food or beverage into the classroom, well it didn't happen. Some kids buy 2-5 of these things in the morning and then bring them to the classroom. At least the oldest daughter's teacher now doesn't allow them in her classroom.

This is only the begining, I will give some updates on my crusade :beercheers:

Man I hate Clark County. You have raised multiple good points and I cannot wait to hear how the PTA meeting goes!

Would it be bad parenting to have your daughters reply to those teasing that it's sugar water and they're just gonn get fat?

What school is this, if you can tell?

It seems that the school board approved these to be sold. They make good money for the school, but I just can't help but think that there are better ways to raise money. I brought up the John 14:6 thing and that got some eyebrows raised. Apparently the kids would be very "unhappy" if they were yanked from the school. I'm not done with this fight by a long shot. Now that I know the board approved them, that's where the fight will end up.

here is my take on it

the schools, due to lack of funding in the past, have taken matters into their own hands and have begun selling what they could get away with for a profit.

up until about 5 years ago, when the fed passed some nutritional guidelines regarding what could be sold at schools for consumption by students, some schools even slumped so low as to whore themselves out and be sponsored by the likes of Pepsi, and Coke, where said companies PAID the school to have their logo up in their cafeteria, or even name their school gym after said brand of soda :blink::lol:

the religion point is valid....but i would hold that as your ace in the hole. begin with the nutritional information of FLAV h20

http://www.flavored-waters.com/Flavored_Wa...pple_Flavor.asp

FlavH2O Apple Flavor

NUTRITION FACTS:

12.3 Serving Size (fl oz)

80 Calories

0 Total Fat

0 Sodium

21 Carbohydrates

20 Sugars

0 Protein

RDA-recommended daily allowance has no say, but the good ole gubment has a guideline of no more than

40g of sugars per day

http://www.annecollins.com/weight-loss/sugar-rda-diet.htm

that product above contains HALF of the recommended guideline in less than 13 oz :blury::blah:

i would play the diabetes card first, because you know the kids are eating much more sugar than that on a daily basis

also, speak to the teachers regarding student behavior after a period where access to these drinks (recess, lunch) is available and compare it periods of school where access isnt allowed (usually the period right before lunch) and ask the teachers compare the two. this can also be used as ammuntion

as a teacher, it is sad to see schools profit at the detriment of the kids health

good luck and keep us posted :moon:

Edited by richard cheese

Okay now for the kicker, on the can it says John 14:6. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this cross the line when it comes to religion in the school? John 14:6 says, "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

are you upset that it has religion on it? or is this an angle your just looking at using?

cause if religion bothers you that bad i hope you dont eat at In n Out

are you upset that it has religion on it? or is this an angle your just looking at using?

cause if religion bothers you that bad i hope you dont eat at In n Out

Ok I will bite what has religion got to do with In and Out?

Ash, make the school district serve kids Saxbys coffee instead!

Ok I will bite what has religion got to do with In and Out?

Ash, make the school district serve kids Saxbys coffee instead!

bible versus are all over there stuff too

If I drank coffee I would be all over your shop... now If I can get a steamer there I am all over it...

and NOT this kind of steamer.... :poop:

Edited by Vegashd

bible versus are all over there stuff too

If I drank coffee I would be all over your shop... now If I can get a steamer there I am all over it...

and NOT this kind of steamer.... :poop:

Interesting I never noticed that on the in and out cups but I am usually looking at the other side. Of course you can get a Steamer here, any flavor you want!

I think Ash's point is that church passages on school property do cross the line. I thinkm he has a good case to go in front of the school board on this issue.

Interesting I never noticed that on the in and out cups but I am usually looking at the other side. Of course you can get a Steamer here, any flavor you want!

I think Ash's point is that church passages on school property do cross the line. I thinkm he has a good case to go in front of the school board on this issue.

nothing beats a great vanilla or snickers steamer......