Help upgrade '72 Chevy 402 motor.

justken

Hey a buddy of mine Has a 1972 Chevy 402 motor :beerpint: .....What we need to know is what would be the most bang for the buck as far as parts go, we are talking full rebuild. And Freak can tell ya we poor! ha

Input chevy folk PLEASE!!!

Cast numbers:

Head:3999241

Block:399290

Really kinda depends on what you want to use the truck for. If you will be towing, comp cams makes a good roller cam for great bottom end torque. 258 duration. In fact they make a variety of roller cams that make max power at different rpm levels. A good dual plane intake, probably edelbrock rpm air gap.

I actually have a 71 suburban with the 402 motor. I have been recently considering making it a tow rig. I decided that the 402 was kind of a lost cause because even if you rebuild it, it will never make the kind of power a 454 would. And any big block will get crappy gas mileage, especially when towing. You'd be looking at single digit mileage for sure. I know a guy who can sell you a used but low mileage later model 6.0 liter out of a chevy truck and a 4l80e trans for about 2500 bucks. He can also build you a wiring harness and reprogram the computer for you for your specific application and gear ratio. I have already bought an LS1/4l60e from him and he is great to do business with and will answer any questions you might have. If you want his contact info, pm me.