new rebuild question?

goodguys75

long story short...took my 1985 honda 70 head and cylinder to my friends shop for a rebuild...he noticed that the rockers and cam were a little discolord and thought they my be getting starved of oil...At that time he wasnt sure if the motor had a oil pump or not....my theory is maybe the previous owner ran with low oil and it got a little hot??? just dont want to crack the case again to check the oil pump tolerances....have you guys ever heard of oil pump failures in these motors????? Im ready to put the cylinder in and the piston and get it running....just wanted to know if someone has noticed this also....thanks andre

Edited by goodguys75

Yes they all have a oil pumps. They all tend to run hot. It's an air cooled engine. If you have the head and cylinder off the motor, my advice to you is install the high flow oil pump with an external oli cooler. The high flow oil pump will increase flow by something like 300%. You only can do the oil pump upgrade with the cylinder off the motor. You will need to drill the oil passege as part of the install.......my 2 cents..........

Yes they all have a oil pumps. They all tend to run hot. It's an air cooled engine. If you have the head and cylinder off the motor, my advice to you is install the high flow oil pump with an external oli cooler. The high flow oil pump will increase flow by something like 300%. You only can do the oil pump upgrade with the cylinder off the motor. You will need to drill the oil passege as part of the install.......my 2 cents..........

so im guessing that the discoloration is normal......think im just going to keep stock....just the kids going to putt around in........thanks