checking on RV parking in LA

vegas style

going to be dong a job in LA for 2 weeks may 25/ june 11. and staying in my hauler 18'. i have reservations at a nice campground with full hookups. but i was seeing if anyone had suggestions of some place a little closer to the LA convention center area. i would consider a secure spot at a business or residence as long as i had power (20 amps) water and be able to pull it out to dump. but would prefer a rv park with full hookups. google shows a few parks but a lot dont have websites and im NOT looking to stay at a mobile meth park!

thanks for any suggestions.......... steve

post-978-0-74634800-1304914783_thumb.jpg

Steve Im about 40 minutes (non rush hour) north of downtown and your rush hour traffic everyday would be a challenge. But give me a call when your out here if your up for a bbq.

I know just about every inch of LA, Did billboards for 2 years teaches you alot about the niegborhoods. The closer to downtown you are the worse it gets. Every park and open space fills up with homeless and vagrants at night.

Check out the North side of Griffith Park, where it runs along the 5 and 134 freeways. I think there might be some RV parking back there. You would be able to get to the convention center in about 15-20 mins from there.

Griffith Park is day-use only, there's no overnight RV access. You can bushwhack in LA if you want, but I wouldn't leave a trailer I cared about parked unattended for too long... like more than about 30 seconds. With all the RVing homeless around, residents are very sensitive to that. You could put a shout-out on Craigslist, there might be somebody centrally located that would rent out a driveway or side yard for a couple weeks.

RV parks are a better option IMHO. Here's a couple within reasonable driving distance:

Dockweiler Beach (LA County Parks)

Malibu Beach RV Park

Either would be about 30-40 minutes driving time from downtown (depending on traffic) and are in nice areas. Dockweiler is adjacent to LAX if that's a consideration, and also has more in the way of nearby food/groceries/whatever. There's also more options for your commute to avoid traffic. Malibu is, well, Malibu... one way in, one way out, but God it's pretty.

There's really nothing any closer that I would recommend without 24-hour armed guards.

Full disclosure: I'm an LA-based news photographer, been working in the city for 15 years.

Edited by Noozeyeguy

Steve, we have been to the Malibu RV park. and although the drive might be a b*tch, there will be nothing to compare to sitting next to your RV with a cold one watching the sunset or the dolphins playing in the surf. It's a nice park. Try to get a spot that backs up onto the ocean. You can open your back door and sit inside and let nature be your tv.

I agree on the Downtown area. Hotel is good near the convention center but 3 blocks past its another world.

I live in Old Town Pasadena if you look along the 210 Freeway you will find a few and it will only be a 20 minute ride straight up the 110 if you leave before 6:30AM.

Riding from Malibu will be 1 1/2 hrs each way dont let anyone fool you. Much nicer area though. Give me a call when you are out here maybe we can get some Grub one night I shoot out where you are at. You will be here for two weeks.

Good luck.

malibu is where im reserved right now.

yea that was my thought terry might be more of a drive but relaxing with a ocean veiw in malibu sounds so nice. and i will have memorial weekend off with some other short or off days.

and they have cable and internet and dockweiler doesnt. so unless something better comes up ill be winning in malibu!

malibu is where im reserved right now.

yea that was my thought terry might be more of a drive but relaxing with a ocean veiw in malibu sounds so nice. and i will have memorial weekend off with some other short or off days.

and they have cable and internet and dockweiler doesnt. so unless something better comes up ill be winning in malibu!

You will have a great time, matter of fact I have a $100.00 gift certificate to club/bar/resturant right on the beach that we got because we waited all night to get dinner and lousy service. But that's another story, if you want the gift certificate you can have it. Just hook up with me next time your in Henderson and it's on me.

ill take you up on the offer terry thanks. dad is in town next weekend maybe we will come get some coffee ill give you a call.

Steve, I sold the coffee shop last Sunday(thank God!) Just let me know when your gonna be in the area.

Malibu is killer, you wont find a better place to stay really. Just be prepared for that long commute on the 10. It is Bumper to bumper from 7-10 am. I would suggest getting out early and beat the traffic. Get some breakfast somewhere close to the job. Good luck man.

Malibu is killer, you wont find a better place to stay really. Just be prepared for that long commute on the 10. It is Bumper to bumper from 7-10 am. I would suggest getting out early and beat the traffic. Get some breakfast somewhere close to the job. Good luck man.

I wouldn't know, I work nights :laughing: But yeah, that'd be my advice too. That's really the only downside to Malibu, there's no good alternate route.

For breakfast: The Original Pantry, 9th and Fig... walking distance from the Convention Center. Get there early, avoid the line. There's also a lot of good little hole-in-the-wall lunch places on Fig down by USC.

Edited by Noozeyeguy

I wouldn't know, I work nights :laughing: But yeah, that'd be my advice too. That's really the only downside to Malibu, there's no good alternate route.

For breakfast: The Original Pantry, 9th and Fig... walking distance from the Convention Center. Get there early, avoid the line. There's also a lot of good little hole-in-the-wall lunch places on Fig down by USC.

Steve,

You will be walking distance from the Pantry hit this place up. Great food but also will be a long line. If lucky you will only have about a 10 minute wait. Well worth it.