Northstar Mechanics or shops in Vegas

ynot

Looks like I have to pull the heads on my car. I really don't want to haul it to Ca. but have not found a shop in Vegas that knows the in's and out's of a twin turbo Northstar motor. Can anybody give me some input?

nobody off the top of my head cept for folks in california.. the only people i would take something like that too in cali would be Danzio

It would that Mech-tech built the engine orginally, then chrfb re did it about 2 years ago. Both in Ca. both have good reps. I guess it will depend on how fast one of them can get to it. Dune season's awasting!

This is true... Is it only Head Gaskets?? cant be that hard to do can it??

Way past my expertise. I don't have room to do it, much less do I want to start removing the turbos and all the plumbing. This is a job for someone who knows their butt from a hole in the ground and on this I am definetly in the hole. :laughing:

This is true... Is it only Head Gaskets?? cant be that hard to do can it??

WRONG! Headgaskets on those aren't what they seem. The #1 problem is the aluminum block, when you take the head bolts out the threads come out with them because GM in their wisdom didn't sleeve the holes just tapped the block instead. Consequencely, ALL the holes must be drilled/reemed, retapped and "timeserts" installed basically they're like a solid heli-coil. The TIMESERT kit cost me just under $400 if i'm remembering right.

I've done 2 northstars at my shop, GOOD TIMES :ninja:

On the good side, I'm sure it's already been done since his motor has been rebuilt twice :laughing:

Edited by PiercedBoy

WRONG! Headgaskets on those aren't what they seem. The #1 problem is the aluminum block, when you take the head bolts out the threads come out with them because GM in their wisdom didn't sleeve the holes just tapped the block instead. Consequencely, ALL the holes must be drilled/reemed, retapped and "timeserts" installed basically they're like a solid heli-coil. The TIMESERT kit cost me just under $400 if i'm remembering right.

I've done 2 northstars at my shop, GOOD TIMES :ninja:

On the good side, I'm sure it's already been done since his motor has been rebuilt twice :laughing:

So Chris you and your shop have experience with these motors? This motor has already had the "timeserts "installed. I need someone to R&R the engine and I can take it to Ca. for the head work. Would your shop be interested in pulling the motor and hardware?