Are you sure youre not landgrabbers for abolishing OHVR?

Richard Cheese

these rangers are douchbags

Public lands being chewed up by off-roaders, former rangers say

FROM STAFF REPORTS

July 17, 2007 - 8:42PM

A group of former government workers said they have had enough of off-roaders tearing up the desert. The group, Rangers for Responsible Recreation, cites data from the U.S. Bureau of Land Management that details rampant abuse from off-road vehicles in Arizona and four other Western states.

Off-road vehicles are destroying watersheds and streambeds along with plants and wildlife, said former BLM director Jim Baca.

His group wants stiffer fines, taking away off-road vehicles when drivers abuse the desert and suspension of hunting and fishing licenses.

Bob Mason, chairman of the American Sand Association, said there can be a small minority of participants "that probably don't obey the rules."

ASA members are focused on recreating at the Imperial Sand Dunes in California. Mason said he thinks the recreationists there are respectful of the natural environment just by "watching where they ride."

"I think they do a pretty good job," he said.

BLM numbers from 2004 to the first half of 2007 for Arizona, Nevada, California, New Mexico and Utah show more than 6,600 violations involving off-road vehicles in hit-and-run and reckless driving incidents.

Other statistics show more than 2,300 violations stemming from illegal use of closed trails and other areas that are off-limits to the public.

With a little more than 600 violations, Arizona ranks fourth behind California, Utah and Nevada.

----

Sun Associate Editor-Assignments Jackie Leatherman contributed to this report. She can be reached at jleatherman@yumasun.com or (928) 539-6849.

the article

:thumbsdown:

Other statistics show more than 2,300 violations stemming from illegal use of closed trails and other areas that are off-limits to the public.

Maybe those numbers would go down if they would give us MORE LAND TO RIDE ON

:thumbsdown:

And considering the number of riders out there to the 2,300.....I wonder how bad that number really is???

:laughoff:

you would have to take the number of offroaders from 20 or so years ago and get a ratio. based on the accident rate back then, and compare it to the amount of offroaders now, and the acidents now, to accuratley determine if things are worse or better resposability wise.

we have more humans now and they like to leave that out as they present there case for violations and accidents not including increased rangers i remember when the there was 2 rangers from dumont to 29 palms . they can never really accurately gauge this.

Off roading has always been at your own risk sport, rangers are needed for those who put there fellow off roaders at risk with stupidity.

tearing up stream beds and eco systems thats been going on for 5000 years ?? they scream let things be yet they preach evolution on the other hand. all hypocritacle deserts ALL deserts on public lands belong to the people. and we should be aloud to enjoy it. with rangers nailing the irresponsable. thats what we pay them for.

kelso dunes for an example closed why ?? no good reason mikvetch has survived at glamis since the first people decided "gee lets try to drive in that stuff." so what ever there trying to protect has a god given ability to adjust and survive. and a fing reptile in the middle of nowhere or plant will not destroy the world.

might i add do you know what kills desert tortuses more than people running them over or taking them ?? CROWS !! i got that straight from a enviromentl inspector when i did a fibre run from henderson to laughlin in 95. he was with us for 2 months we had to go to turtle school it was silly but hey necessary. I saw first hand all the way down 95 in the at&t manhole run we were working on , hundreds of picked out turtles and crows running up and down that line looking for the next one. :thumbsdown:

i like theodore roosavelts idea of keeping open land but the word open is gone. enough of my soap box............ :laughoff:

Edited by barefoot bob