Gearing Education

DarbyCrash

I'm running a 14/38 (stock) setup on my Predator 500 with 22/11/10 Sand Stars. I spend more time playing in the dunes than I do hill shooting and I like having a good top speed in the flats.

I haven't screwed around with gearing in about 10 years and I'm trying to remember which way I went on my banshee to give it the balance I'm looking for. I'm bogging in 5th with these tall tires but I don't want to give up my top end when I'm playing in open desert.

Should I drop a tooth in the front or go up a tooth? If I remember correctly, I went up a tooth on the banshee but it also winded up a lot quicker than this thumper. Down= quicker off the line, Up= better top end and less shifting right???? :laughoff:

If you're boggin in 5th through the dunes, then you want to go down a tooth on the front, but, you will lose some of your top end in the flats.

I went down a tooth on my LTR and that made the biggest difference for me on the hill and in the dunes.

If you go up a tooth, you'll be haulin' azz on the flats but that's about it.

Dunes and desert are totally diffrent areas of course so they will be diffrent in gearing, you can get away with shorter gearing in the dunes but the Desert top end is going to sufffer alot when trying to do both with the same gearing.

I say drop a tooth in the front and then throw that old gearing back on when you go to the desert, you will notice a top end diffrence in the dunes when dropping a tooth on the big bowls or flats and you will be reaching for another gear but it will help alot on steep hills and racing..

If you're boggin in 5th through the dunes, then you want to go down a tooth on the front, but, you will lose some of your top end in the flats.

I went down a tooth on my LTR and that made the biggest difference for me on the hill and in the dunes.

If you go up a tooth, you'll be haulin' azz on the flats but that's about it.

I friggin told you so..... 13 bucks.... but noooo what do I know.. :D

I friggin told you so..... 13 bucks.... but noooo what do I know.. :D

Hey Effer that was the first thing I got after you told me. :shocked2:

It was actually $18 at Mountian Motorsports, I didn't want to wait for it.

It's all good :laughoff: