help polaris outlaw 500

dusthol

the thing wont start pops thru the carb. sounds just like when the valves stuck, numerous times before. tired of adjusting valves after 2-3 rides. had the dumb things replaced 3 rides ago, cost $800 i'm not paying that much again. so how do i adjust the valves. also is there a hardened valve i can put in there to stop doing this all the time?

Edited by dusthol

backfiring thru the intake is a timing issue... Pull the cam cover and make sure the cam/cam's are timed properly.. if all else fails call powerhouse and have him fixer up for ya

no motor work this is a stock bike. the work was done by a shop that advertises on here. last riding season it had 3 valve adjustments, took it in when it wouldnt start. on 4th time they replaced the valves. i got 3-4 rides and now its doing the same thing. when it was in for valve replacement i asked for a stronger valve and was told there is no such thing for my bike. i cant believe that. found out the stock valves only cost $17 intake and $35 exhaust. so i guess i got robbed paying $800 for the last replacement.if any one wants to know what shop pm me. i wont be going back to them.

most of the time its cam timing not iginition timing.. ignition timing is controlled by the flywheel and CDI Cam timing is totally diffrent. 9 times out of 10 the cams are where people goof.. That is where i would start if you were worried about the timing

the shop that did the work on my bike called me after seeing this, they asked me to bring the bike in to get looked at. so i took it to them today, they called back and said the timing chain is loose and needs replaced. they are working on a price to help me out. all in all the shop isnt a bad one, just getting aggravated at the situation with my bike. not the shops fault on any of this. just pissed at polaris and not getting the results i'm looking for.

you would think that they would have replaced the timing chain when they did the valves not to long ago.. They already had the motor apart and if they were a compitent shop they would have mentioned it to you at least. Cheap insurance. On my 426 recommended replacement interval by the book was like once a year or something like that. I didnt replace it after 5 years but had one on the shelf for when i was going to rebuild the head.