man crushed to death between 5th wheel and truck

Richard Cheese

Man crushed by RV

Thursday August 28, 2008

http://www.camrosecanadian.com/News/416312.html

Alyssa Noel

Sun Media

A 62-year-old American man died in an Edmonton hospital after he was crushed between a fifth-wheel trailer and his truck at a Camrose RV centre.

Richard McBee was delivering the trailer, July 30 to Tee Pee Trade and RV Centre for Rad Transport based out of Elkhart, Indiana.

As he disconnected the trailer from his vehicle, either the truck or trailer shifted and he was crushed between them, Camrose police said.

“The fifth wheel came down and pinned him between the trailer and the box of the truck,” said Insp. Lee Foreman.

McBee, who police say was from Indiana, was transported to St. Mary’s Hospital in Camrose, but was later taken to Edmonton’s Royal Alexandra Hospital by STARS air ambulance with a skull fracture.

He died in hospital a few days later.

Employees at local RV outlets said it’s very rare and not easy to become pinned between a fifth wheel and truck because of the safety equipment in place.

“It’s pretty difficult,” said one worker who didn’t want to be named. “I’ve heard of people crushing fingers between the fifth wheel and the box ...The only thing I can think of is if he unhooked the jacks [that support the trailer.]”

Guest Crasher

OMG. That's aweful. :( I'm just trying to figure out how this happened? Maybe he had never used a 5th wheel before. Was he standing under the trailer??