Need hot water heater expert help.

iweb

Rheem 50 gallon model 82V52D, starts out hot then goes luke warm after one shower. I turned the top thermostat down until the bottom came on last night and it is still on and I hear it cooking all the time. The top thermostat never shut down in over 24 hrs when I first installed it until I turned it way down, it then clicked, turned off, and the bottom had 240v. Now that one has been on since last night and never shuts off.

At 10 AM I turned the bottom thermostat from 125 to 150 degrees, it was already on so top element was off. 4 hrs later I used a cooking thermometer under the kitchen faucet and it showed 135 degrees and was too hot to keep my hand under it. I then turned top thermostat to 150 degrees and it clicked and top element had 240v and I hear it cooking at the top of the heater. 3 hrs later I check kitchen water and it was 105 degrees and I could keep my hand under it.

All this time I can hear the water cooking and there is always one element on, neither one will automatically shut off. When I had the top element on for 3 hrs I felt the bottom of the tank and it was cool.

So why does a brand new heater act like this and what can I do to fix it so it doesn't use elec 24-7? I am going to leave the bottom element on all night so we can shower in the morning for work but then I am going to shut off the breaker when I leave for work. And it is a non-simultaneous dble element.

At 10 AM I turned the bottom thermostat from 125 to 150 degrees, it was already on so top element was off. 4 hrs later I used a cooking thermometer under the kitchen faucet and it showed 135 degrees and was too hot to keep my hand under it. I then turned top thermostat to 150 degrees and it clicked and top element had 240v and I hear it cooking at the top of the heater. 3 hrs later I check kitchen water and it was 105 degrees and I could keep my hand under it.

All this time I can hear the water cooking and there is always one element on, neither one will automatically shut off. When I had the top element on for 3 hrs I felt the bottom of the tank and it was cool.

So why does a brand new heater act like this and what can I do to fix it so it doesn't use elec 24-7? I am going to leave the bottom element on all night so we can shower in the morning for work but then I am going to shut off the breaker when I leave for work. And it is a non-simultaneous dble element.

Sounds like the top termstat is the only problem and not the elements...

all new water heaters have a 6 year manufactures warranty. Try to give them a call and see about a replacement heater. the phone number should be on the heater with the SN and the modle number..

Just tell them that the water heater is leaking internaly and case closed new water heater

Why doesn't either thermostat shut off? They both keep running for days and never get hot enough to shut off. I have the bottom one on now and set on 150 degrees to see if it will shut off, 4 hrs so far and still cooking.

I just bought the thing Friday so I will check with them tomorrow.

Just in case someone cares I found the problem, clue should have been all the electric stuff checked out and what are the chances of 4 brand new thermostats being bad? Bazillion to one I think, anyways had a big water leak under the house and the water heater couldn't catch up enough to shut off. Now it woks fine. Whats funny is the expert tech guy from Rheem is sending me 2 new thermostats and 2 new elements even after I did an ohm check on the elements and have good voltage and told him all the electric checked out ok, should I tell him what I found?

:beercheers: I think that's good and bad new's at the same time...You should of heard all that water running at the heater, and say what the fk or is someone useing water or something ...I'm glade you got it figgerd out and, I hope it dont cost to much for the plumbing repairs... :beercheers:

I thought I heard it once and checked under the house and couldn't see anything and planned on going under this weekend to take a closer look. But it got alot worse because when I did hear it running thru the heater w/o the power on it was obvious and then looking under the house was also very obvious. I kept the power and the well pump off whenever we were not needing a shower so that kept me from hearing anything tool. No plumbing repair costs, I fixed it.