Why should we all support street legal OHV's?

SandBlasted

I received an email from a person stating ATV's should not be street legal, as they are dangerous. It was apparent from their email they had no idea what we were trying to do.

I have decided to write why we should have the ability to register these vehicles.

As most of you know, many of us have been involved with a fight to get Side by Sides registered as a Low Speed Vehicles here in Nevada. While this may seem silly to you, why do I want to make my Side by Side slow? Slow can be a temporary thing, after it is registered that is between you and law enforcement. As long as it is operated on the streets no faster than 25MPH on a road with a posted speed limit of 35MPH or less, you should not have a problem. Meeting the requirements of a LSV is the easiest way for owners to convert side by sides and make them street legal. This is why we choose this route.

To give an example of access, I live in Boulder City. We have fantastic approved roads here in Boulder City. Most of these roads however are located in the national park service are opened to street legal vehicles only. There are many approved roads in the NPS where people want access. Jeeps, Trucks and other vehicles can access these approved roads, but ATV's and side by sides are not allowed simply because they are not street legal.

We have a few roads that are accessible from Boulder City, one will take you to the river and another takes you to a high mountain top with a breathtaking view of the entire lower basin of Lake Mead.

Even in wilderness areas like Sloan Canyon National Conservation Area near Henderson, the access road to this wilderness area is for street legal vehicles only. Many of you may have your own area you'd like to ride in but the street legal requirement keeps you out.

:blink: I'd like to ask everyone for their support in helping get passed side by side as Low Speed Vehicles, and the restoration of the DMV to reinstate registration of dirt bike converted to dual sport on-road Motorcycles. Even if you don't own one we need your help. This is what is on the agenda now. In the future I will always fight for access of other OHV's.

We are attempting to again slip an amendment for this in a new transportation bill. We need people to support and email or phone the heads of the transportation committee and their reps to allow registration of these vehicles.

I will create an email to send and provide email addresses to those involved in getting this passed here in the near future.

I can be reached here, or at extremeoutdoors@cox.net

Thank you

Craig Castleberry

Edited by SandBlasted