audio problem

Richard Cheese

my amp quit working on me while driving the other day

testing showed that while power was hooked up, i was getting 1.4 volts at the + and- @ the amp, along with 12v @ the remote

but, if i unhooked the power, it would kick back up to 12v, which made me believe it was the amp

another amp I had was put in, but the power was doing the same thing

i checked the battery connection, it was good. its a 4 ga wire all the way back to the amp, it is not grounded anywhere that I can see, and the inline fuse looks good too

its crazy, the minute i plug it in to the amp, the voltage drops

could it be my ground?

I am running the stock deck on my dmax, with a hi lo converter and rca's running back to the amp too..those give a signal

WTF is wrong?

thanks

my amp quit working on me while driving the other day

testing showed that while power was hooked up, i was getting 1.4 volts at the + and- @ the amp, along with 12v @ the remote

but, if i unhooked the power, it would kick back up to 12v, which made me believe it was the amp

another amp I had was put in, but the power was doing the same thing

i checked the battery connection, it was good. its a 4 ga wire all the way back to the amp, it is not grounded anywhere that I can see, and the inline fuse looks good too

its crazy, the minute i plug it in to the amp, the voltage drops

could it be my ground?

I am running the stock deck on my dmax, with a hi lo converter and rca's running back to the amp too..those give a signal

WTF is wrong?

thanks

You are most likely correct and the the right track, if both amps are acting the same way and the power source is solid. Trace the ground make sure it is attached to Raw (unpainted) metal. make sure at the connections on the amp, you do not have any stragler wires sticking out of the lugs and are touching each other even 1 strand of wire neg to pos will cause you problems.

The rca's are a low voltage signal, Im pretty sure they are not your issue. This sure sound like a ground issue to me. Hope this helps :flipoff:

Edited by Big Dave

You are most likely correct and the the right track, if both amps are acting the same way and the power source is solid. Trace the ground make sure it is attached to Raw (unpainted) metal. make sure at the connections on the amp, you do not have any stragler wires sticking stragler wires sticking out of the lugs and are touching each other even 1 strand of wire neg to pos will cause you problems.

The rca's are a low voltage signal, Im pretty sure they are not your issue. This sure sound like a ground issue to me. Hope this helps :beercheers:

lol i call those pubes :flipoff:

i plan on getting on it some more today

thanks Dave

your name reminds me of that old cheech and chong gig...Dave's not here :isbb:

Nice find Cheese. Those are the hard ones to troubleshoot.

I also have a problem, I had a amp that went out and while I was waiting to get another one my buddy let me use his. It worked great, then when I bought a cheapy amp and put it in, it has a very bad engine whine to it. My question is, Do better quality amps have noise filters already internally? My amp that went out worked good as well with no engine noise.

i can tell you that the stuff made in the US like the old alphasonic, OZ audio, US acoustics, hifonics etc, have a far better sound quality than the crap rollin out of china today

I have a phoenix gold amp. they were decent when i went to High school, using the same type curcuitry as the old OZ amps. For some reason, they thought about globalization, and bailed on the quality.

well, the phoenix gold is what i thought took a dump, and my wife bought me a US acoustics 4 channel amp. man, the difference was night and day, so much more crispness in the higher end, with that discerning low rumble that the phoenix gold tried so hard to reproduce, but fell extremely short.

caraudio.com has a forum link there...some pretty helpful guys...i like to think of them as the DDR of the car audio world