Proposed OHV Bill introduced in Legislature

Proposed OHV Bill introduced in Legislature

More info from Gary Clinard.....

Bill Draft Request 400 has been released for consideration by the Legislature. It has been given the designation SB434. Information about the bill has not yet been posted on the Nevada Legislature website, but should appear soon. Continue to check under SB434 to see the text of the proposed bill and the dates of the public hearings by the Senate Transportation Committee.

Although a greenie group called "Nevada Responsible Trails Alliance" tried to get the bill modified before it was ever introduced, Senator Rhoads decided to submit the wording of the original draft which had been accepted by the Legislative Committee on Natural Resources.

It is expected that this greenie group will continue to try to place their agenda in this bill. Two items that they specifically want are (1)- as many greenies on the OHV Committee as there are OHV owners, and (2)- prioritization of the spending of the OHV funds in this order:

administration, public safety, education & enforcement, and restoration. Note that they do not list any trail or trailhead facility maintenance, addition, or improvement. Obviously, these goals and conditions are totally unacceptable to the OHV Community.

Thanks for your interest in this matter which is important for us all.

Gary Clinard

Just passing this info on. I didn't write it, but if you care about OHV registration in Nevada, make sure your voice is heard!

Several people have asked for some guidance in writing letters to

legislators. Feel free to copy & paste or just use this as a guide

then add your own "voice" or personal experience:

Address

XXXX

RE: SB434 - Off Highway Vehicle Registration Program

Dear Senator ___________ (once the bill passes the Senate and moves

to the Assembly, you will need to change this to "Dear Assemblyman

________" or "Assemblywoman ________"),

You will soon hear testimony on SB434, a bill to register Off Highway

Vehicles (OHV) in the State of Nevada. Please accept this letter as

indication of my strong support for the bill as introduced.

I enjoy and support responsible OHV activities and am in favor of

SB434 as it will help people like me continue to enjoy the sport.

SB434 provides for registration and titling of OHVs which will help

with recovery in the event of theft. It will also provide funding for

an OHV Program which will support public education on appropriate

use, mapping and signage of existing trails, trail maintenance and

other matters as approved by a committee of appropriately selected

advisors.

Please support the over 400,000 OHV users in the State of Nevada with

your YES vote on SB434 as it was introduced.

Sincerely,

email or phone

address

I guess we just need to hope they don't use the California OHMVR program as their example, right?

I support registering the vehicles for recovery of stolen vehicles and maybe as a way of tracking off-road vehicle numbers (as proof that we need more open areas). I'm not so sure I support registering the vehicles as a funding method. So, if I was going to write a letter of support (assuming they'd listen to someone from California), I would probably have to amend that letter to suit my needs.

I'll have to take a close look at that Bill... be back in a bit...

Vicki

I encourage everyone to put their own thoughts down and get them to the appropriate member of the NV state senate/assembly. I am not sure CA residents opinions would count in NV politics.

The letter I posted is just one viewpoint. There are many that believe that OHV registration is coming whether the users (vehicle owners) want it or not. If that is the case, we should do everything in our power to make sure that the bill is favorable to us. I am confident the enviros will do everything in their power to favor restoration, enforcement and closure.

The line of thinking for the letter that was posted is the bill would be most acceptable if left alone as submitted.

If you think it can't happen in Nevada, think again. Change is coming, and it won't be a good change unless off-roaders are heard.

That is my two cents.