GM 8.1 Intermittant cut-out

Occasionaly our 2001 8.1 motor will quit for a second or two, then resume.

The trucks electrical and instruments still work, just the engine quits.

We've heard the Crank position sensors can go bad and cause this problem.

Can this be diagnosed when the truck is running fine?

Should we just change it out anyway?

We're getting ready to take a hot 7000 mile lap around the USA, and would like to avoid any failures on the road,, if we can.

Thanks for any imput.

When you say the engine quits for a second or two, does it just lose power but stay running? Are there any codes (check engine light on?)

I looked up the bulletins and there is a bulletin for the cam sensor issue on those trucks, but it says that condition usually only sets codes and that there is no unusual driveability characteristics. Usually that problem will cause a long crank concern but it won't affect how teh truck runs.

Subject: Malfunction Indicator Lamp ON with a DTC P0341, P0342, P0343 (Replace Cam Sensor)

(02/28/2001)

Models: 2001 Chevrolet and GMC C/K and G Light Duty Models

2001 Chevrolet and GMC B7, C6, C7 Medium Duty Models

with 8.1 L Engine (VINs E, G -- RPO L18)

Condition

Some owners may comment that the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) is illuminated. The vehicle will exhibit no unusual driveability characteristics.

Upon further diagnosis, the technician may find an active or stored DTC P0341, P0342, P0343 in the PCM.

Correction

Verify the cam sensor operation using the appropriate Service Manual diagnostics. If the diagnostics show that the cam sensor is the suspect component, replace the cam sensor with the following part number. Refer to the applicable Service Manual for removal and installation of the cam sensor.

I spoke with one of our drivability techs here at the dealership and he said there have been some crank sensor problems in the past with those. He said most of the time they will shut off (stall) while driving, but it is possible that your symptom could be a result of a failing crank sensor.

I would have it scanned and check for DTC's and continue from there.

I had an '01 with the 8.1 gasser in it and had the same problem. Crank Position Sensor. Get it changed before it quits on the freeway, the truck is very hard to control when it stalls at 60mph!!!!

PS: It never left a code!

Edited by mredgy

• 3 weeks later...