GMC/Chevy tow ratings.

rushjunkie

Time to upgrade from the trusty 6.0 gas into a new diesel. While looking at the tow ratings, I noticed that with the bumper pull, the tow rating was identical on 2wd and 4wd, but when I looked up the ratings for fifth wheel, there is a 1600lbs difference. On a crew cab, standard box the tow rating on a 2wd is 15200 and on 4wd its 13600. On a reg cab, the difference is only 300lbs. On a crew long bed 4wd the tow rating goes all the way down to 12500.

Any ideas? all i can think of is weak link at the transfer case and drive shaft length.

My trailer only weighs about 10500 loaded up, but im looking to upgrade into a widebody. Anybody have issues going over tow limits?

All this is making me :freakin_nuts:

Maybe some of you goodwrench dudes have an answer. I work at a GMC dealer, so I will try contacting the factory dudes, but those guys are clueless sometimes.

Is the 4x geared the same? All other things being equal, I'd have to guess the transfer case might affect your GCWR, since you're adding another thing to break :idiot: Seriously tho, there would be some parasitic loss thru the T-case, although 1300-lbs worth seems like a lot.

We just upgraded our Trailer to a 5th widebody, WW 35', with water, fuel and toys (two quads) and the junk, it's about 13,360lbs The max GVWR for the F350 4x4 that I have is 23,000lbs and the truck by itself is 8400lbs with tanks full and 4 peeps. This gives me 14,600 left to pull, so subtract my trailer and I've got 1,240lbs of headroom.

It pulls fine, but if given the oppertunity knowing that I bought the truck before the trailer, I'd gone with a F450. So instead of doing it backwards like I did :chug: you might look at your upgraded trailer max weights and then go after your truck. Seems to always turn out that you end up with a bigger trailer than originally planned.

If your going for a 5th, you also need to consider PIN weight, and are you looking at a dully or single also.

Just my :drunk: on the topic.... :idiot:

Edited by Sandpirates2

yeah, only diff is 4x4. different cab styles have various differences between 2wd and 4.

these are the specs from the gmc website. They are for fifth wheel/gooseneck, assuming a Duramax, Allison, and 3.73 axle ratio.

reg cab long box:

2wd = 15800

4wd = 15500

Ext cab std box:

2wd = 15400

4wd = 14300

Ext cab long box:

2wd = 15000

4wd = 13400

crew std box:

2wd = 15200

4wd = 13600

crew long box

2wd = 14400

4wd = 12500

hard to figure out the reason for the differences. :beer_bang:

I want 4x but WW 5ers are heavy. I really want a GM truck, but this is a little disappointing. Was the reason i asked if anyone was pulling heavier and getting away with it.