Vegas to Dumont Via I-15 South

EY3BA11

I just recieved this from my wife about the road work going on @ mountain pass.

In case you know of anyone headed on this route:

Interstate 15 Mountain Pass Truck Lane Project - Update - Thursday, November 13, 2008 Dear Colleague:

In our continued effort to ensure that our resort partners are fully aware of all issues that may impact tourism to the destination, the LVCVA continues to monitor transportation issues in the surrounding region.

We previously informed you of the California Department of Transportation

(Caltrans) project in Mountain Pass, just south of the California border that will add a truck climbing lane for southbound traffic. As a part of that project, the contractor needs to blast out a large portion of rock along both sides of I-15. These blasts require that all traffic be stopped until safety engineers deem it safe to travel through the blast area.

There have already been several small blasts that have caused one- to two-hour closures on I-15 south. While these blasts have been helpful, they are too small to efficiently remove the amount of material necessary to complete the project. The contractor has proposed designating a specific day and time each week to conduct larger blasts, which will require an extended closure of the freeway to clear the debris. This strategy will reduce the overall amount of blasts that need to take place, significantly reducing the blasting/closure schedule.

Beginning on Wednesday, December 10, these extended closures to southbound traffic will begin and continue each Wednesday through April 2009.

Traffic studies indicated that this is the least congested travel day and time on southbound I-15, thus minimizing the impact of these closures.

There will be exceptions to the weekly schedule during the holiday season, including Christmas and New Years, and any other significant holidays or events that fall on Wednesday.

For this project, southbound I-15 will be closed at the state line from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Wednesdays. Traffic will be routed off the freeway at Primm, so that travelers have appropriate facilities and shelter during the closure. During this closure, Caltrans will provide information booths on both sides of I-15 at Primm and utilize an e-mail/text alert system to inform people when the freeway has re-opened.

In order to minimize the impact to travelers during these closures, several steps will be taken to deter drivers from heading to the area.

Caltrans, in coordination with the Nevada Department of Transportation, will be conducting extensive public relations and marketing campaigns to inform travelers on both sides of the border of the pending delays. This strategy will include media outreach, press conferences in Southern California and Las Vegas, and advertisements and public service announcements in appropriate media outlets.

When the blasting schedule begins in December, other information devices will be utilized to inform travelers of the situation. Message boards in Sloan and Jean will inform drivers of the closures, giving them an opportunity to return to Las Vegas to avoid the delay at Primm.

Information will be provided to truck drivers at the Apex weigh station north of Las Vegas to encourage them to take a different route. Truck drivers who do pass through Las Vegas on I-15 south will be encouraged to stage in the parking lot at Jean, in order to assist in traffic flow at Primm once the closure is lifted.

You can assist in helping relieve traffic delays following the closure by informing guests of this construction and potential delays on Wednesdays from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Caltrans will be developing cards that we can provide to our hotel partners for display at the front desk, bell desk, concierge and other appropriate areas for guests. We encourage you to communicate with your front desk, bell, valet and concierge staffs to ensure they are aware of this issue and remind departing guests.

The LVCVA works closely with Caltrans, NDOT and other entities to ensure that we are aware of any projects that can potentially impact travel to Las Vegas. Through the efforts of our transportation consultant Tom Skancke, we worked to reduce the overall timeline of the Mountain Pass project from four years to 30 months.

Just a heads up for any of you who travel that way :D

I just recieved this from my wife about the road work going on @ mountain pass.

Just a heads up for any of you who travel that way :D

Wow!!! Glad I don't go that way.

:lol: How about us Pahrump and Vegas people setting up signs sending the "Big Rigs" thru Tecopa. Be an academy award winner to watch them negociate the switchback before Tecopa!!! And how about the CHP guy that runs the Tecopa area????? :lol:

I know, it's just the visualization that made me do this! :dope: :dumbass: