building a rail from scratch

F3RR3T

first off im not from Dumont I dont even know where it's at. I choose to ask this here because i have found alot of knowledgeable post here and im hoping i can get some questions answered.

i dont live near dunes. just sandy central Florida trails and woods, trails are usually really whopped out and nothing but sugar sand.

i plan to make a chassis similar to this.

http://www.miltonsandtoys.com/Wade%20from%20Topeka.htm

with the exception i want IFS front suspension and it will be a 4 seater buggy (2 buckets in the front bench in the back) 110" wheelbase

these are my questions (i apologize i have quite a few)

1. Is there a place i can go to learn about calculating IFS suspension?

2. To i want to do a rear mount chevy 4.3 V6 where can i get a adapter plate to use a VW trans

3. I am not finding many spindle designs that i can get ideas from nor a weld on spindle (the part the actual hub mounts to)

4. Trailing arms i am thinking about making something similar to these, http://www.tatummotorsports.com/product_in...products_id=145 but i cannot find any hubs

5. mostly needing the majority of help with the front IFS design and setup

Your best bet would be to buy a long travel frame and modify it up the way you want. Alot of parts warehouses carry everythign you need. pacific customs, mckenzies, tatum even if you got the $$$ for them.

some of the buggies guys would be better to chime in but if i were you i would look for a used roller or a good frame to start with.

Your best bet would be to buy a long travel frame and modify it up the way you want. Alot of parts warehouses carry everythign you need. pacific customs, mckenzies, tatum even if you got the $$$ for them.

some of the buggies guys would be better to chime in but if i were you i would look for a used roller or a good frame to start with.

im doing this as a project with my 10 year old nephew. its a group project between My nephew and I and the future wife.

really trying to fabricate as much as i can. i have 120 feet of 1.5 1/8th wall DOM laying here as well as my new TIG welder

• 3 weeks later...

just my .02$ worth buy a knock down chassie that will take a standard bug torsion front and rear , it will handle the best in your off road area , im in dallas tx and i to am not near the sand and i do the trails and such and using a standard bug assembly will take the punishment , plus if you make it street legal it will handle good on the road.