Rear swing axle removal-VW obviously

sandawg

It's been 30 years since I removed the axles from a VW transaxle! :ninja:

I forgot if I can just take off the boots, side covers and the snap ring and take them off without taking off the brake assemblys, tubes etc?

Time to have the tranny gone through.

It will be simple if I don't have to take off everything first.

Hoping I can just take off the shocks, the trailing arms and drop them down then pull the tranny.

Tomorrows project!

Know that I will need close ratio and a higher gear to make some of those St. Anthonys dunes!!! Sure don't have any extra horse power in my "sled"! :barf::(

Thanks.

Edited by SANDAWG

I forgot if I can just take off the boots, side covers and the snap ring and take them off without taking off the brake assemblys, tubes etc?

No you'll need to take the axle nut off to slip off the tube assy far enough off to access the snap rings.

Good luck. If you know of a good set of snap ring pliers that work with this I would appreciate some info. I have always found taking the snap rings off to be a challenge with my pliers. :bert:

No you'll need to take the axle nut off to slip off the tube assy far enough off to access the snap rings.

Good luck. If you know of a good set of snap ring pliers that work with this I would appreciate some info. I have always found taking the snap rings off to be a challenge with my pliers. :bert:

That makes sence. I forgot about sliding the tube back to reach the snap ring.

A while back I bought a pair of large snap ring pliers @ Harbor freight and am hoping they do the job.

Thanks,

Pat

I have tried every pair of snap ring pliers from harbor freight, no luck. They just bend. I bought a good set from sears and they work out good. Plus the ones from sears come with a lifetime warranty.

That's encouraging to hear. I found what I used years ago. An old pair of larger needle nosed pliers that I ground a groove at the tip, inside obviously, on both sides to hold and not slip and strong enough not to bend. Now I have options?!?! :barf:

Edited by SANDAWG

That's encouraging to hear. I found what I used years ago. An old pair of larger needle nosed pliers that I ground a groove at the tip, inside obviously, on both sides to hold and not slip and strong enough not to bend. Now I have options?!?! :banghead:

Why, Why, Why don't you just call Danny. Come on Pat :offtopic:

I have tried every pair of snap ring pliers from harbor freight, no luck. They just bend. I bought a good set from sears and they work out good. Plus the ones from sears come with a lifetime warranty.

quote name='SANDAWG' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:55 PM' post='178960']

That's encouraging to hear. I found what I used years ago. An old pair of larger needle nosed pliers that I ground a groove at the tip, inside obviously, on both sides to hold and not slip and strong enough not to bend. Now I have options?!?! :banghead:

Just tried my Harbor Freight Pliers. worked like a charm!

[