Sand rail frame designs

pipedream

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie and I live in cape town, south africa. I plan to build myself a sand rail, or as we call it here, a Pipe car.

Thing is, around here, you cant find plans, or designs, or any info actually. Does anybody have the dimensions for a sand rail with beetle suspension, transmission and engine? The reason I am going beetle, is cause they are really cheap here. I suppose I could also use golf watercooled. Sand rails are very uncommon here, and to find a frame or complete one is virtually impossible. Also, if you do find one, it's these short ones with beetle pans, almost like a buggy without the body. :beercheers:

thanks guys

All i can say is study pictures.. read magazine articles and if your a good welder and fabricator go to town. There are a few good suspension books around you could read as well.. but alot of the time people just start with a couple tubes on the floor laying things out and build it one piece at a time till they get what they are after.. there are no real plans since every buggy is diffrent.. I dont think there are 2 identical buggy's anywhere!!