Stage Door Canteen

Free Agent

I hope my kids are gaining some good memories of our duning trips.

Hope they always dune it.

Do ya still do cool stuff with your dad?

My mom passed away long ago but,

I'm lucky enough that my dad is still living.

One of a dwindling core of WW 2 veterans left.

He flew bombers during WW2 and never talked about it.

All we knew was their was this bad, horrific incident he and his crew encountered, and that was that.

But that's another thread. Perhaps for Military.com.

Music was always a part of our home & neighborhood growing up.

One of the greatest jazz drummers, Jack Sperling was a next door neighbor.

Jack Sperling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dad made sure the homes sound system was state-of-the-art, that's an old school term (like High Fidelity), meaning the best technology available.

We even had Blaupunkts way before BMW sold cars here.

The FM stations back then were usually some stoner who had a surplus military FM transmitter in his living room and he spun his Jazz collection.

Our houses rocked or jived would be more like it on that section of the block.

I booked a flight and rooms and tickets to take my dad to the grand opening of the Stage Door Canteen at the National WW2 museum in New Orleans Nov 6th.

The National WWII Museum's Stage Door Canteen

Jack Sperling, our neighbor, played there, and the Hollywood Canteen during the war, and my dad saw him;

I asked my dad recently "Did you guys bomb the Germans to the beat of Glenn Miller like we listened to the Doors in Viet Nam?" No answer of course.

But dad did accept the trip to see the opening and the big expansion at the National WW 2 museum, and the Stage Door Canteen within.

I'm looking forward to it.

I hope my kids are gaining some good memories of our duning trips.

Hope they always dune it.

My mom passed away long ago but,

I'm lucky enough that my dad is still living.

One of a dwindling core of WW 2 veterans left.

He flew bombers during WW2 and never talked about it.

All we knew was their was this bad, horrific incident he and his crew encountered, and that was that.

But that's another thread. Perhaps for Military.com.

Music was always a part of our home & neighborhood growing up.

One of the greatest jazz drummers, Jack Sperling was a next door neighbor.

Jack Sperling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dad made sure the homes sound system was state-of-the-art, that's an old school term (like High Fidelity), meaning the best technology available.

We even had Blaupunkts way before BMW sold cars here.

The FM stations back then were usually some stoner who had a surplus military FM transmitter in his living room and he spun his Jazz collection.

Our houses rocked or jived would be more like it on that section of the block.

I booked a flight and rooms and tickets to take my dad to the grand opening of the Stage Door Canteen at the National WW2 museum in New Orleans Nov 6th.

The National WWII Museum's Stage Door Canteen

Jack Sperling, our neighbor, played there, and the Hollywood Canteen during the war, and my dad saw him;

I asked my dad recently "Did you guys bomb the Germans to the beat of Glenn Miller like we listened to the Doors in Viet Nam?" No answer of course.

But dad did accept the trip to see the opening and the big expansion at the National WW 2 museum, and the Stage Door Canteen within.

I'm looking forward to it.

BUT OBCOURSE!!!!! These are the unforgetable memories you pass on to your siblings to be long remembered and never forgotten. Quality time with the family is very important and plays a big roll in the raising of a good family. This is a good example the kidos can use when you get old on how you would like to be treated and maybe one day they will do the same for you. To many times do I see elderly people abandoned by their families... sad thing but reality. I am very glad to hear you take interest and liking in spending quality time with your dad :clap: Most important, you consider his likes while doing so.

Although my dad has long passed I still do things that we used to do together. But very time I go to the desert it reminds me of when my dad and I took his VW bug and went out looking for old ghost towns and looking for old bottles etc. He always used to drink Hamm's beer in the can that looked like a mini keg. We took 22's and would shoot and spend the day in the desert. Unfortunately his health failed before I could get him to the dunes. He would have thought it was beautiful but wouldn't have enjoyed the speed rides. I don't know where I got that from but my love for the desert came directly from him.

BUT OBCOURSE!!!!! These are the unforgetable memories you pass on to your siblings to be long remembered and never forgotten. Quality time with the family is very important and plays a big roll in the raising of a good family. This is a good example the kidos can use when you get old on how you would like to be treated and maybe one day they will do the same for you. To many times do I see elderly people abandoned by their families... sad thing but reality. I am very glad to hear you take interest and liking in spending quality time with your dad :clap: Most important, you consider his likes while doing so.

17633thumbsUp.gif

Although my dad has long passed I still do things that we used to do together. But very time I go to the desert it reminds me of when my dad and I took his VW bug and went out looking for old ghost towns and looking for old bottles etc. He always used to drink Hamm's beer in the can that looked like a mini keg. We took 22's and would shoot and spend the day in the desert. Unfortunately his health failed before I could get him to the dunes. He would have thought it was beautiful but wouldn't have enjoyed the speed rides. I don't know where I got that from but my love for the desert came directly from him.

You can still buy that Hamms in the keg can over the bar at the Lake Havasu Elks Lodge.