Deep Cycle Battery charging

mineurbiz

ok seems I have something draining my battery on the trailer which I need to figure out how to find, but for now how long do you charge a deep cycle battery on say 15amp charge? We charged it for a couple hours last night to see if it would hold anything and it is sitting at 11.9 from completely dead (which probably ruined the battery).

This might also be a key time to get some of those energizer 6V's from Sam's Club.

• 2 months later...

I was always told a 12 hour charge at 2amps so it doesn't fry the deep cycle. Check all your connections. I though mine was draining too but figured out the ground was corroded and wasn't getting charged from the gen or truck.

I purchased a Black & Decker smart charger from Walmart. It is computer controlled and knows what the charge rate should be and it does it in different cycles. It will even tell you if there is an open or shorted cell. It was well worth the $60.

I purchased a Black & Decker smart charger from Walmart. It is computer controlled and knows what the charge rate should be and it does it in different cycles. It will even tell you if there is an open or shorted cell. It was well worth the $60.

Always slow charge a deep cycle at 2 amps! I was just told this week that i shouldn't leave my smart charger on all the time. He said to leave it on for a week and then turn it off for a week. This came from Sheldon Battery here in Vegas.

My last set lasted 3 years and still checked fully charged but i change them out every three years just to be safe.