replacing trx 70 brake pads

desertskyz

degreased & pressure washed the frame & other parts to be painted...

post-3-1260859413_thumb.jpg

I have to replace to rear brake pads. And quite honestly, I have know Idea what I'm doing. I got off the wheels and the cover around the brake., now I need to take pins and all that stuff off. but once that is done I have to get to the shoes. I did get the cover off. (stupid bolts, 3 12mm and 3 10mm) :xmas_grin: anyway, I can't figure out how to get that cover (as seen in this pic) off.

I know this is easy for you guys, but I have never done this before, so it takes A LOT longer. I guess I'm just whining. Did get the gas tank cleaned. It still looks like yukie inside to me. But I was told, just buy some new filfters, run it then change the filters again and I should be good for awhile.

How about a new take? 190.00 for a new one. not sure yet.

Edited by desertskyz

I have to replace to rear brake pads. And quite honestly, I have know Idea what I'm doing. I got off the wheels and the cover around the brake., now I need to take pins and all that stuff off. but once that is done I have to get to the shoes. I did get the cover off. (stupid bolts, 3 12mm and 3 10mm) :laughing: anyway, I can't figure out how to get that cover (as seen in this pic) off.

I know this is easy for you guys, but I have never done this before, so it takes A LOT longer. I guess I'm just whining. Did get the gas tank cleaned. It still looks like yukie inside to me. But I was told, just buy some new filfters, run it then change the filters again and I should be good for awhile.

How about a new take? 190.00 for a new one. not sure yet.

You can use muriatic acid to clean the tank and then buy the Kreem tank sealer to coat it after that. I did the acid, but did not leave it in long enough, only a few hours and it did a ton. I think Pete and some others left it in for a couple days and had even better results.

You can use muriatic acid to clean the tank and then buy the Kreem tank sealer to coat it after that. I did the acid, but did not leave it in long enough, only a few hours and it did a ton. I think Pete and some others left it in for a couple days and had even better results.

I worry about putting the acid in the tank because it is pretty rusty on the bottom and I am not sure how thin it has gotten. If it eats a hole through it then I'm screwed and have to by a new one. I'll see if I can get a pic of the bottom and post it up. The Kreem tank sealer sounds good, but doesn't the tank have to be perfectly clean?

I worry about putting the acid in the tank because it is pretty rusty on the bottom and I am not sure how thin it has gotten. If it eats a hole through it then I'm screwed and have to by a new one. I'll see if I can get a pic of the bottom and post it up. The Kreem tank sealer sounds good, but doesn't the tank have to be perfectly clean?

If it is only a pin hole, I would image that you can have someone weld it up, if the bottom of the tank is going to call out, then that may be another story.

chances are that the bottom of the tank is probably less rusty then the top area, do to the fact that when you store it there is usually some fuel left covering the lower area of the tank. the condensate usually collects above the level of the fuel and rusts the upper area,rust likes water and air to "grow". you should be able to tap along the questionable area and hear a distinct difference in sound, along the lines of a tin can sound, if the metal has become real thin. try tapping it gently with the butt of a screw driver or something along the seam, it should have a fairly dense sound to it. if you are still leary of the acid, you can do the old school gravel thing..... rinse the tank out completely! let it air out all the gas fumes! fill the tank about halfway with water and a couple handfulls of small gravel, and shake shake shake. its like sanding the inside, it will knock of the stuff that is on the surface (the stuff most likely to break free as you ride and clog your filter). then rinse it all out, and get it good and dry inside. then you will have a clean enough surface for the kreem to work. i have done this a few times long ago in the metal tank days, before plastic tanks came along.

as far as the drum it should slide off the axle once the cover and stuff are out of the way, its probably rusted to the splines on the axle. try some penetrating spray or wd40 let it sit for a bit the tap around the spline area on the drum..not on the outer drum!! lol just by the axle area! tap it a few times and it should break free and slide off, after that the shoes are a breeze.

You guys are so great thank you so much for all of your advice. I am so appreciative that you guy scan come to my house, do it for me and I'll buy the beer and steaks. LOL

The tank was wash yesterday and a my neighbor said he used a chain as his medium. No sure what type of cleaning solution he used. He works at Fisher Space Pin so I'm guesings it is some good stuff. I can still see rust on the bottom. God only knows who has owned this thing.. There was only like 5 bolts holding the whole bike together. Dude says to me when I go to pick it up. "Man we've tried like hell to tear this thing up and it just keeps on going." I'm like :?: you don't tell people that. I have a few pics of the tear down, but will try to get a pic of the inside of the tank tonight. Gotta order more parts also.

But first I have to wrap presents for the grand kids and get them ready to send to FL. I hate wrapping presents. However, I'm gonna be the coolest grandma around when they was they got. :laughing: