Water Softener

rushjunkie

Recently started a garage re-do and it looks like it's all set-up for a water softener. I'm not even sure I want/need one.

Would like to hear what differences and costs/benefits are to installing one. We do have particularly hard water. I'm tired of all the white deposits on and around anything related to water.

What size unit would I need? 3 bath home, clothes and dish washer, only 3 of us here though (me, wife, 3yr old daughter).

Is there a drawback to buying a used unit? Besides the obvious: too old, beat up, not maintained etc...

What brand should I look for if I decide to get one?

Pro-installation required?

Thanks peeps! DDRrocks.gif

Recently started a garage re-do and it looks like it's all set-up for a water softener. I'm not even sure I want/need one.

Would like to hear what differences and costs/benefits are to installing one. We do have particularly hard water. I'm tired of all the white deposits on and around anything related to water.

What size unit would I need? 3 bath home, clothes and dish washer, only 3 of us here though (me, wife, 3yr old daughter).

Is there a drawback to buying a used unit? Besides the obvious: too old, beat up, not maintained etc...

What brand should I look for if I decide to get one?

Pro-installation required?

Thanks peeps! DDRrocks.gif

If the garage has been plumbed for the water softener than it's an easy install for anyone used to connecting pipes usually via torch and flux. Home depot and lowes usually have the best prices and offer specials for installs. I would recommend one, I notice when my system is out of salt and notice the difference in the feel of the water. My recommendation is get one,

you won't regret it

misssss mine! be sure to put a spicket after it in the garage for washing the car!!! thats what i missssss the most. you can wash a black car in the sun, not dry it and have NO spots

I already have that in the plans. The spigot will be right outside the garage beside the garage door. Looking forward to that one!

Also getting a utility sink in the garage running the soft water. Wouldn't want my hands to get all roughed up washing off the Fast Orange, you know?