The Sand Sports Super Show Experiences

Ross and Alice

If ya volunteer to work a show like this, your first reason has to be for yourself.

Not because ya want anything in return other than to help the industry and help the organizations working to keep the dunes open.

They're having big trouble getting volunteers this year, and I saw it coming.

All the "Staff" of SOME of the duner organizations take up the RV spots for themselves, and the volunteers working the event can stick it.

Ya get no RV spot, ya get no free pass to get in or parking, nothing if ya come in to work for free.

Ya work the grounds, the food booths, the membership tables because it's for you.

We were scheduled to work several shifts and the ASA booth.

Our names and shift time we worked and where we worked were officially posted on the web site,, we placed the kids with sitters, re-arranged our work schedules and took vacation days,, got to the SSSS and our names were not on the list, no pass to get in or parking,, totally forgotten.

Another couple assigned to work quit in disgust because they got chewed out for handing out a couple 2" stickers for free, and were treated like shoplifters.

That kinda hurt, we felt like a horses a$$, but what really hurt was all the trouble we took to get off work ect, and the tank of gas to get there,, then,, ignored.

So,, ya put up with this stuff because of the fight against the radical enviros, and everything else that happens doesn't matter. It's for you has got to be your sole reason, or mixing with the sand crowd, and ya don't need to volunteer for that.

Just sit at the bars and drink the $8, 10 oz beers, and chat with the duners.

They can't get volunteers NOT because no one cares, they can't get them because volunteers that make it all happen are treated badly by the organizations staffs who scoop up all the bennies for themselves.

Edited by Ross and Alice

Your absolutely right! When I VOLUNTEER to help and someone from the staff treats me badly well I have a tendancy to use my favorite phrase which is " F&CK YOU " I hate politics but if the people you are trying to help don't care then I say let them do all the work themselves and earn those bennies.

Maybe you should look at volunteering at Friends of Dumont Dunes booth or even ignore the SSSS and join and volunteer to help with committees, membership drives etc.You can do this from home or your general area and I guarantee that you will get no hassle from the Board of Directors of FoDD! We receive no benies so there's none to latch onto. Cost just $24.00 to join FoDD also. :eatdrink021:

If ya volunteer to work a show like this, your first reason has to be for yourself.

Not because ya want anything in return other than to help the industry and help the organizations working to keep the dunes open.

They're having big trouble getting volunteers this year, and I saw it coming.

All the "Staff" of SOME of the duner organizations take up the RV spots for themselves, and the volunteers working the event can stick it.

Ya get no RV spot, ya get no free pass to get in or parking, nothing if ya come in to work for free.

Ya work the grounds, the food booths, the membership tables because it's for you.

We were scheduled to work several shifts and the ASA booth.

Our names and shift time we worked and where we worked were officially posted on the web site,, we placed the kids with sitters, re-arranged our work schedules and took vacation days,, got to the SSSS and our names were not on the list, no pass to get in or parking,, totally forgotten.

Another couple assigned to work quit in disgust because they got chewed out for handing out a couple 2" stickers for free, and were treated like shoplifters.

That kinda hurt, we felt like a horses a$$, but what really hurt was all the trouble we took to get off work ect, and the tank of gas to get there,, then,, ignored.

So,, ya put up with this stuff because of the fight against the radical enviros, and everything else that happens doesn't matter. It's for you has got to be your sole reason, or mixing with the sand crowd, and ya don't need to volunteer for that.

Just sit at the bars and drink the $8, 10 oz beers, and chat with the duners.

They can't get volunteers NOT because no one cares, they can't get them because volunteers that make it all happen are treated badly by the organizations staffs who scoop up all the bennies for themselves.

Gee Ross, how many years ago was that now??? :woo_hoo:

I'm REALLY sorry that happened to you. The ASA is not a business, it is an organization of VOLUNTEERS who donate their time to TRY and make a difference... Since that time (2002) we have made huge changes to the way we handle our volunteers. We have designated people (2) that stay at the booth the entire time just to welcome the volunteers, make sure they know what is going on and who they will be working with. We also feed ALL volunteers, made possible by ASA member Tim Wight who will cook breakfast, lunch and dinner all 3 days... paid by donations from businesses, workers & volunteers. (we feed every worker there, even the security guards) And we have drinks available at the booth and food area. And YES Tim gets a camping spot for doing this. (Tim lives in Arizona and pays for his own gas) ( a bennie? )

So your first sentence is correct,,, do it for yourself, your sport...nothing more. I DO.

Again,,, being an all-volunteer organization has its benefits and drawbacks. We don’t have the luxury of being able to pick perfect employees, check their resume for management skills, then hold them accountable for mistakes. Less than 5% of our volunteers do 95% of the work before a show and it is very frustrating for the ones that put in dozens of hours to read something like above 4 YEARS LATER!!!,,, I'm truly offended... :angry22:

FYI... it has never been the policy or practice to give camping spots to any volunteer that donated less than the whole weekend at the booth. (I'll be there all 3 days this year but I didn't get a camping spot because I'm also volunteering for CORVA, so no spot, I'm sleeping on a motorhome floor both days.) And please don't worry about those that give up their WHOLE weekend to camp there (a requirement for a spot) not to mention taking off Friday from work and maybe even Monday to re-coup... ( I guess those are the bennies... :driver: ) along with having no voice trying to talk over the DJ all weekend long to volunteers and new members... :mc_smiley:

So again, Ross I'm VERY sorry that ONE volunteer told you and your wife you were not needed at that moment in time...

Jim, personally I think you could have accomplished more with a straight " sorry that happened to you, we've made changes to make sure it does not happen again"

The problem with some organazitions is they just don't know when to be quiet and listen!

Jim, personally I think you could have accomplished more with a straight " sorry that happened to you, we've made changes to make sure it does not happen again"

The problem with some organazitions is they just don't know when to be quiet and listen!

Terry, I understand what you're suggesting. But when the organization HAS listened, HAS made the changes necessary, so these unfortunate mishaps don't happen again yet people like Ross after 4 years and have never seen those changes say: They're having big trouble getting volunteers this year, and I saw it coming. that really hurts those of us that work so hard to have a successful show. :rockon:

The past 3 years the SSSS show hasn't had any of the issues that Ross has mentioned. When do you let it go and move on???

Sorry again this happened to you Ross... I only wish I could have been the volunteer that day you spoke with... I would have made sure you felt welcomed and found something both of you could have done... (I've never had a problem finding volunteer projects needed to be done...) :P

Edited by Sanduners

Gee Ross, how many years ago was that now??? :beercheers:

I'm REALLY sorry that happened to you. The ASA is not a business, it is an organization of VOLUNTEERS who donate their time to TRY and make a difference... Since that time (2002) we have made huge changes to the way we handle our volunteers. We have designated people (2) that stay at the booth the entire time just to welcome the volunteers, make sure they know what is going on and who they will be working with. We also feed ALL volunteers, made possible by ASA member Tim Wight who will cook breakfast, lunch and dinner all 3 days... paid by donations from businesses, workers & volunteers. (we feed every worker there, even the security guards) And we have drinks available at the booth and food area. And YES Tim gets a camping spot for doing this. (Tim lives in Arizona and pays for his own gas) ( a bennie? )

So your first sentence is correct,,, do it for yourself, your sport...nothing more. I DO.

Again,,, being an all-volunteer organization has its benefits and drawbacks. We don’t have the luxury of being able to pick perfect employees, check their resume for management skills, then hold them accountable for mistakes. Less than 5% of our volunteers do 95% of the work before a show and it is very frustrating for the ones that put in dozens of hours to read something like above 4 YEARS LATER!!!,,, I'm truly offended... :angry22:

FYI... it has never been the policy or practice to give camping spots to any volunteer that donated less than the whole weekend at the booth. (I'll be there all 3 days this year but I didn't get a camping spot because I'm also volunteering for CORVA, so no spot, I'm sleeping on a motorhome floor both days.) And please don't worry about those that give up their WHOLE weekend to camp there (a requirement for a spot) not to mention taking off Friday from work and maybe even Monday to re-coup... ( I guess those are the bennies... :beercheers: ) along with having no voice trying to talk over the DJ all weekend long to volunteers and new members... :flipoff:

So again, Ross I'm VERY sorry that ONE volunteer told you and your wife you were not needed at that moment in time...

To the Right Honorable SandDuners:

The theme of the post is you do it for yourself, and bad experiences can happen.

Obviously, you want to soft soap that.

Also, it's not that "one" volunteer didn't notify us, no one even sent a simple e-mail.

But that is not the theme of the post.

It's that you do this for yourself, and the other things that happen don't really matter.

What triggered the post was I was contacted by an ASA member and asked to work this show because I was told that they are having trouble getting volunteers this year. AND the same arrogant mis-treatment of the workers is back.

If that is NOT the case then I stand corrected, and your beef is with them, not me.

If urinating on my thread makes you feel better,, then pee away, but you're peeing in the wind.

You owe me no apologies, no one does, and I ask for none.

Ya do it for yourself, and these mistakes can happen, I chose to not let it happen again.

I'll retire soon, and plan to get very involved with friends Of Dumont Dunes.

As for your worthless 4 year remark: yea,, in 4 years we didnt get bit by the same dog twice, like so many others.

PS: You mention your affilation with CORVA. I won't bring up how those funds are being spent,, we'll just let that alarming can-o-worms go and not drive down that dark alley, and we'll continue to support them as well.

Happy Duning Sanduners,, and we're still in this battle together no matter how we differ in opinions.

Ross

Edited by Ross and Alice

Friends of Dumont Dunes will be well represented at the SSSS this year.

We're right next to the CORVA booth, kitty-corner from the GlamisDunes booth, and right inside some nice big rollup doors that help keep us cool.

Thanks to some very clever volunteers we will have a "hands-on" display this year that will be really fun.

Ross, if you are going to be there and want to help with the visitor traffic for Friends of Dumont Dunes, drop me a line and we'll make it happen.

:flipoff:

Vicki

Friends of Dumont Dunes will be well represented at the SSSS this year.

We're right next to the CORVA booth, kitty-corner from the GlamisDunes booth, and right inside some nice big rollup doors that help keep us cool.

Thanks to some very clever volunteers we will have a "hands-on" display this year that will be really fun.

Ross, if you are going to be there and want to help with the visitor traffic for Friends of Dumont Dunes, drop me a line and we'll make it happen.

:beercheers:

Vicki

Yeah Ross What she said!!! :hello::driver:

Happy Duning Sanduners,, and we're still in this battle together no matter how we differ in opinions.

Ross

Exactly,,, those are MY opinions and I'm nothing but another volunteer. I hope you take Vicki & Terry's offer to help at the FoDD booth. And I would hope your experience is nothing but a good one. Hope to meet you there.

Jim