Need your HELP

ynot

I know that not all of us on here ride in this area or have ever heard of it. However the Greenies are pushing Washington DC very hard to close off the whole area over the protests of the local residents who ride and have businesses near by that depend on area vistors. Please take a minute and read through it andc make some phone calls or e mails to your Congressmena nd Senators who are all listed at the end of this e-mail. The more they close the more they want. We have to draw a line and their is a lot of support to keep this area open but no one is telling Washington that they want it to remain open, just the greenies lobbist telling them that we do. Please take a minute and help even if you don't live in NV. Still contact your states Representitives and let them you ARE NOT in support of this closeure!!

You can skip thru the main post and just go to the lower section and send an e-mail to each of the listed Nevada congressional representitives just stating your opinion that you don't want the area closed to a "Wilderness designation" If you are from out of the state of Nevada you can also contact your states congressional delegation and tell them you do not want this area of Nevada called Gold Butte closed and designated a Wilderness area.

Thanks;

UT AZ ATV Club [mailto:utazatvclub@yahoo.com]

Sent:
Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:04 AM

To:
undisclosed recipients:

Subject:
FW: Gold Butte

To: picorg@mvdsl.com

Subject: Gold Butte

Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 02:53:03 -0700

Hi Everyone,

I realize this is probably the last thing you want to hear and it is the last thing that I actually want to ask, but it is terribly important for you to take about 10 minutes and either email or call our federal (and state) representatives. They definitely need to hear your opinion and comments, especially if you are NOT in favor of almost 350,000 acres of Gold Butte public land being designated as an NCA and wilderness. We have been told that literally every day a different group stops by Senator Heller's office and tells him that Gold Butte needs more protection. Our representatives are getting record numbers of people who want an NCA and wilderness; they absolutely MUST hear from those that don't think such designation is needed; most of our representatives are not willing to advance such legislation this year, but if they can't say 'substantial people living in the area do NOT want an NCA or wilderness in Gold Butte'---if they can't say that, it will become politically impossible for them to hold back the tide of those who want such designation. PLEASE, PLEASE---we must flood their offices in the next 2 weeks so we can give them a reason to not move forward with a public lands bill for Gold Butte this year. I know it gets old—this is the fourth year we have had to fight such designations---but please look on the bright side---we are fighting this battle for the fourth year because we 'won' the last 3 years. Gold Butte has not had additional restrictions and designations because we have all voiced our opinion loud and clear for the last 3 years. Please do it again, so we can hold the line this year also.

The phone calls or emails do not have to be long. You can simply give your name, where you live and state your opinion. If you do not want Gold Butte to receive additional restrictions and designations such as an NCA and wilderness---simply and plainly say so—so that there is no misunderstanding of what you said. You can politely ask the receptionist to repeat your comments; next request that the senator/congressman be given your comments. Feel free to provide details if you wish; I have copied some below; delete them, use them, modify them to suit your own beliefs, whatever works for you.

Below the suggestions of additional comments, is the contact info for each of the federal representatives. Below that is my contact info. Please feel free to call or email me if you have any questions, want more information, or just want to talk about this subject---please don't hesitate to contact me for any reason.

Also, this year the other side is busy making a list of businesses that support an NCA and wilderness in Gold Butte. They have 30 different businesses signed up so far. Please consider adding your businesses name to the 'I don't support an NCA or wilderness in Gold Butte list'; just email me your business name and your name and I am working on developing a list; it needs to be a published list to have validity, so please consider that before you email me. Thanks, again for this.

Finally, please, please spread the word; I am sending this email to well over 100 people; if 100 people would call or email and then ask just 5 other people to do the same, we would have 500 individual comments from voters/residents who live right here; 500 individual comments would catch everyone's attention and REALLY help us fend off restrictive designations for at least another year. Please ask at least 5 other people to also write in and feel free to forward this to anyone. If you want to read a great summary of what has been going on at Gold Butte and if you want to see some excellent photographs of the area, please visit
savegoldbutte.com
. I highly recommend this superb blog by a local who visits Gold Butte often and wants to be able to take his kids to those special spots he grew up enjoying. Thanks for your time, attention, and help on this—again, we are at a very critical time; the 'other side' is making their strongest push yet; our elected officials need to see that we don't want wilderness or NCAs; and the only way a congressman will know—is if you tell him. Thanks so much, Elise

Additional comments:

The Record clearly shows that an NCA designation is for politics and not the peoples or lands benefit. Gold Butte and its resources are protected, people have access to them and it's taken care of on a community level. What more could you ask for. The BLM was created to manage public lands, let them do it. Bureaucratic designations passed down from Washington circumvent the very process and procedures they created to handle these situations. The biggest threat to Gold Butte is the special interest groups who seek to abuse and circumvent the system.

--------------------------------------

An NCA doesn't give back to the community and it doesn't enhance its protection. It's politics. For these reasons I oppose an NCA and more wilderness for Gold Butte

People need a place where they can recreate responsibly while the cultural and natural resources are managed and protected. Gold Butte's current status allows this to happen.

----------------------------------------

THE ECONOMIC COSTS OF WILDERNESS

Brian C. Steed, Ryan M. Yonk, and Randy Simmons,
Utah State University

Local officials frequently complain that Wilderness harms local economies by limiting the opportunities for economic development. The State of Utah, for instance, recently passed House Joint Resolution 10 which requested that the U.S. Congress not designate any additional Wilderness in Utah
. Through a vote by a supermajority of members, the state legislature asserted that Wilderness' limitation of multiple uses causes substantial economic hardship for the state.

Table 1: The Economic Impact of Wilderness

Measure of Economic Condition

Economic Impact

Average Household Income

$-1446.06

Total Payroll

$-37,500.00

County Tax Receipts

$-92,910.00

These results indicate that Wilderness impacts both households and counties. Average household income within Wilderness Counties is estimated to be $1,446.06 less than Non-Wilderness Counties. Total payroll in Wilderness Counties is also estimated to be $37,500 less than in Non-Wilderness Counties. County Tax Receipts in Wilderness Counties is estimated to be $92,910 dollars less than in Non-Wilderness Counties.

Value of visiting our historical and cultural sites:
Our shared history of ranching, mining, and farming as the dominant economic forces in the late 1800s and early 1900s is scattered across the Gold Butte landscape; as important as it is for native Americans to visit their cultural sites where their ancestors camped, lived, and hunted, so to is it important for us to visit where our ancestors worked, lived, and spent their lives. (Noting a favorite site would be a great personal statement.)

-------------------------------------

Value of gathering together:
As groups or organizations of people that like to do the same recreational activities (be it star gazing or riding ATVs) and as large rural groups of people who gather together for church or family celebrations, the ability to enjoy our public land does not end with small groups of 10 or 12. Most NCAs and wilderness areas are managed for groups of less than 12; this eliminates our value of gathering together on our public lands in larger groups. (Noting occasions where you have been in Gold Butte with a group bigger than 12 would be a great statement to make.)

---------------------------------

Value of enhancing and improving habitat:
Historically, the few water sources in the area were enhanced and diligently maintained by our ancestors; water for wildlife and native habitat also provided water for ranching, farming, mining, and living. Ensuring that those water sources provided continual water for all was of great importance historically, as it is today. Improving wildlife and habitat, enhancing what exists in nature for the betterment of wildlife, plants, and therefore people, is an incredibly important value that needs to be protected and allowed to continue. (a note about quail hunting near a water tank or of viewing rabbits as they come in to drink—a personal example would be a great statement to support this value.)

GOLD BUTTE IS TOO CONTROVERSIAL, TOO IMPORTANT, TOO BIG OF AN AREA TO NOT HAVE A SERIES OF PUBLIC MEETINGS TO DISCUSS SPECIFIC ISSUES.

One of their arguments this year is that an NCA designation will improve the local community's economy; multiple studies show (see attached for just a brief list) that developing any recreational niche and then promoting that, will improve a local economy.

CONTACT INFORMATION:

Contact Congressman Heck.

8485 W. Sunset Road Suite 300

Las Vegas, NV 89113

Phone: (702) 387-4941

Contact Senator Heller:

Lloyd George Federal Building

333 South Las Vegas Blvd., Suite 8203

Las Vegas, NV 89101

Phone: 702-388-6605

Fax: 702-388-6501

Contact Congressman Amodei

600 Las Vegas Blvd. South, Suite 680

Las Vegas, NV 89101

Phone: (702)255-1651

Fax: (702) 255-1927

Contact Senator Reid.

333 Las Vegas Boulevard South, Suite 8016

Las Vegas, NV 89101

Phone: 702-388-5020

my contact info:

Elise McAllister

Administrator

Partners In Conservation

PO Box 298

Moapa, NV 89025

picorg@mvdsl.com

702-864-2464 (voice mail)

702-864-2579 (home, office)

702-864-2253 (fax)

702-219-2033 (cell)

partners-in-conservation.com

=
Edited by ynot

Gold Butte is a very popular spot with the dual sport group I ride with. I'll pass the info on to them as soon as I figure it out. :think:

I would like to help by sending an email, but I now have a headache trying to read through all that. :blury:

Terry, the best way to get help is to post this stuff in much more simplified terms. It's unfortunate but true that most people will just read all the mumble jumble and say screw that. I don't even know what half of that info is pertaining to.

So what you are saying is write an email to our states senator or ...? There's a few names listed there and I have no clue who they are.

Just trying to understand. Hopefully you can clarify. Your better at reading this stuff and picking out the important/ relevant info.beercheers.gif

ps: might wanna delete the email addresses from your post to protect people's privacy. ;)

Gold Butte is a very popular spot with the dual sport group I ride with. I'll pass the info on to them as soon as I figure it out. :think:

I would like to help by sending an email, but I now have a headache trying to read through all that. :blury:

Terry, the best way to get help is to post this stuff in much more simplified terms. It's unfortunate but true that most people will just read all the mumble jumble and say screw that. I don't even know what half of that info is pertaining to.

So what you are saying is write an email to our states senator or ...? There's a few names listed there and I have no clue who they are.

Just trying to understand. Hopefully you can clarify. Your better at reading this stuff and picking out the important/ relevant info.beercheers.gif

ps: might wanna delete the email addresses from your post to protect people's privacy. ;)

Ok Pete those things are done and the short version is added to the top of the post. Thanks for the help.

Terry