Tool for greasing CV joints

Don29palms

I was reading the new Sand sports magazine and came across an article about a tool for packing CV joints. This thing is GREAT! I made one and tried it out and wow what a difference. If you don't have access to the materials and tools to make one I would stongly suggest buying one. It would be worth every penny at twice the price. This tool is basically a flat, round plate with a grease fitting in the middle of it. It has three holes around the outer edge to bolt it to your CV joint.You then put the dry and clean CV joint on the axle and install the retaining clip. Bolt the plate to the CV and pump it up with grease untill the grease starts coming through the back side. This is where I found it easier and cleaner than the original instructions, I installed the CV joints and axle in the car and then took a grease needle and filled the CV boot. The process was very clean and simple. If you've ever done CV joints you know this is not usually the case. I won't do it ever again without this tool. :drinkbeer:

That's what the instructions said to do.

Well I suppose, but I beleive it depends on the kind of grease you used. Was it the black/grey normal CV grease you used? or the more high temp/ extreme pressure stuff?

I still don't think you're supposed to FILL the boot though. You might get some grease that oozes out if it's full-full. :drinkbeer: