Huckfest 2014. LOL

ltr450rider

This probably belongs in the "Oceano Dunes" sub-forum, but it works here too! :slap:

So last years Huckfest, although being completely un-organized and having about 20,000 more people show up than planned for, was a lot of fun to go and watch. We had more fun watching all of the crazy-ness happen in the rows than actually watching the "hucking", when the "hucking" did actually happen! A lot like going to the hill at night.

There was definitely some things that needed to happen to make it a better event to watch and participate in. Organization, schedule of events, cooperation between LEO's and promoters to name a few.

I think with all of the complaints that people had about the event itself, they still had a good time and were willing to return this year.

Then this bomb gets dropped (From their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Huckfest/537079266377275 :

Rumors are correct!!

The 2014 Huckfest dates will be Hosted on Oct 17-18 2014

We will be selling our own tickets for the show.

35 dollars for day use and 100 for Camping per night!
Before any nay sayers, this event has grown extremely fast and to keep this event a safe well organized event and make a great show for families and spectators its going to cost a little bit more. That being said you ...will get what you pay for, the last couple of years have been 100% out of pocket from the organizers with some help with sponsors, but now this event is requiring additional permits with the size of the crowds it gathers. This years Huckfest will have more of everything such as monster trucks, FMX demos, trophy truck, teams from all over the country and world.

We encourage car pooling for spectators (we are limited to a certain amount of vehicles "NOT PEOPLE"). So load up your pals if the 35 bucks is too much and if the 100 dollars per night is too much every day use and night pass will enter you in a contest to win 10k in prizes and product from our sponsors.

With us raising the prices will make Huckfest a better show all the way around with the organization and the spectator quality! you will not be bummed!

Tickets go on sale on wednesday this week!
So they basically bought the entire Beach, and are selling their tickets to get in! I understand why they did it, but that is still not the right way to do it. It sounds like they found the first weekend that had zero reservations and set the event around that weekend.
Problems:
$100 a night to camp on the beach overnight! $200 for the weekend! During actual dune season when most people are headed to Glamis or Dumont for Halloween weekend. I don't expect too many people paying that kind of price for Pismo. Maybe in August or September, I think Labor Day weekend would have been a better weekend.
Event is 2 weeks before the Baja 1000. None of the big name TT guys are going to "Huck" their race truck 2 weeks before the biggest race of the year. Way too much risk involved.
Big names bring the crowds! No big names, less tickets sold!
I know last year got way out of hand with so many people showing up. It was the first time in 20 something years that they had to close the beach, let alone at 10 AM! I'm sure the promoters (who are 22 year old twins brothers) had a hard time dealing with the State Park Leo's to put this on, since the Leo's didn't seem too happy with last years chaos. I just think they went the wrong way with charging as much as they are for an event with no big names to draw the crowds.
Since we already had plans for Halloween weekend, I don't think we'll be going. We were planning on staying at a hotel in Pismo for at least one night, maybe we'll head up for the day. I'm going to wait and see what other "acts" are scheduled to show since they are talking about FMX making a showing.
Edited by ltr450rider

I agree the price is hefty and when i seen this at first I was like no way. But I am postive them doing on an off weekend will make the show less crowded and allow for more control. If this is such a hit October will not matter as there are many weekend to chosse from to start off the new season. I myself would go to spectate for the day for the first time and if it was worth the hype I would fork over the $200.00 to camp for the weekend. Never been to the event just saying. Also I am certain the insurance on this event must cost a Fortune. If these guys spend all their time putting this together compensation would have to be given. :MBdance::MBdance::MBdance::MBdance::MBdance::MBdance::MBdance::MBdance::MBdance::MBdance: