What to do?

ohhhyeah

My dad recently just got a 2016 raptor 700, a 2003 raptor 660(for me), and a kmyco 300 (for my younger sister). This replaced 2 chinese atvs and a go kart (we learned the hard way :banghead: ). Anyways we now have the problem of transporting them to Dumont. We have a 20ft enclosed trailer that will fit 2 atvs and a sandrail. We could build a ramp or platform of some sort to fit all 3 atvs but the trailer is already overloaded with only 2. It's only rated for 7000 pounds. For the last few trips with a go kart, sandrail, and atv it was really sketchy and my dad didn't like driving. Should we try and lower the weight on the trailer or get new axles and brakes or a new trailer altogether?

My dad recently just got a 2016 raptor 700, a 2003 raptor 660(for me), and a kmyco 300 (for my younger sister). This replaced 2 chinese atvs and a go kart (we learned the hard way :banghead: ). Anyways we now have the problem of transporting them to Dumont. We have a 20ft enclosed trailer that will fit 2 atvs and a sandrail. We could build a ramp or platform of some sort to fit all 3 atvs but the trailer is already overloaded with only 2. It's only rated for 7000 pounds. For the last few trips with a go kart, sandrail, and atv it was really sketchy and my dad didn't like driving. Should we try and lower the weight on the trailer or get new axles and brakes or a new trailer altogether?

So your looking at putting a sand rail and basically 3 quads in the trailer that is rated at 7000 lbs. correct? Quads(raptors) come in a little lower than 400 lbs x 2 =800 lbs. The kids quad shouldn't weigh more than 200 but let's say 300 just for safety's sake. 800+300=1100 lbs. Unless the sand rail is a tank that leaves you 5900 lbs. The trailer I would guess weighs somewhere between 1500 and 3000 lbs. So depending on how much the sand rail weighs and how much crap you haul with it than I think you should be fine. But my guess is your towing with a 1/2 ton truck and that's why your dad feels sketchy? If so than the pull vehicle is more your problem than the trailer. BTW put the kids quad in the back of the pick up along with gas and firewood. I would from the info you have provided would say that a 3/4 ton truck would pull, stop and handle that load safely. Let us know if you have any other info.

Like Ynot said, I believe you are well within your weight limits on the trailer.

Weight distribution is a huge deal and could drastically affect how the trailer feels behind the truck.

if the majority of your weight is placed toward the rear of the trailer and you are driving a smaller truck that trailer will pull you all around and sway at higher speeds.

try adding more weight to the tongue/front of the trailer and my guess is the ride will become a lot better.

Its getting pulled by a class a 80s Rockwood rv that didn't come with a reciever end so my dad welded one to the frame. I don't know where all the weight is coming from (we have a 30gal gas tank, a set of sand tires for the sandrail, a generator, and a bunch of tools). It only became sketchy when we also hade the gokart which was a 1000 pounds plus a 200 pounds frame to make it fit and an atv with the sandrail. It didn't stop very well, espescially going down Cajon Pass. Conservatively, all the stuff weighs 5000 pounds. I'm guessing its what rooster and elk said because a lot of weight was in the rear end. We are already using stablizing bars, which help a lot. I guess I'll just try and move weight to the front and get rid of junk.