polaris ranger in the sand

Richard Cheese

Got to take the ranger to Oceano yesterday to get some sand action in

WOW :idiot: That thing fkng rocks!!! took the tires down to 6psi all the way around, and couldn't find anything that I couldn't go up in low awd

dumont dunes are a different story though :driver:

the ranger has the ability to carve pretty well, as well as transition, and holding a line

the suspension was more than adequate

cannot wait for the next trip!!

Some friends of ours just got one and they love it. They actually made it up the west face of the big dune :eatdrink021: at Dumont(experienced driver) . They haven't tried to dune with it yet but I'm sure it's plenty capable.

Edited by painterjoe

• 2 weeks later...

They took it out again for turkey day. With stock tires it duned just fine, a little under powered but plenty capable in the dunes ( yes, big dunes). I wouldn't put paddles on, the motors not strong enough to handle them. Just air down to about 6 psi. and you'll be fine.

They took it out again for turkey day. With stock tires it duned just fine, a little under powered but plenty capable in the dunes ( yes, big dunes). I wouldn't put paddles on, the motors not strong enough to handle them. Just air down to about 6 psi. and you'll be fine.

over on the prc forum, there are guys converting the 700 to an 800, and saying the power increase is phenominal for only 100 CC

I gained 4 mph by just putting 5/8 in tubing on the throttle cable roller!!! lol

Best way to figure out sand tires is to talk to those that have them of course (if you can find them) seems not too many people do yet.

or Fullerton Sand Tire

714 898-2049.

They really know their stuff.

yeah that is where I got my skat trak extremes for my DS a couple years ago.

As far as sand tires for the ranger, looking at the rhino pages, there are different camps as far as what sand tire to use, depending on the variables in the setup of the machine

long travel, 686 kits, blah blah blah...pretty soon, you have as much as a rail would have cost you sunk into a side by side.

I think I will stick with stock for now, as this IS my wife's primary dune mover, and my play toy when she is doing other things (like going into vegas coach store1!!! lol)

one of the people that go with us occasionaly have a ranger halloween he wouldnt get off of it he was climbing everything with 2 fat guys and one skinny guy and the tires down to 5 lbs it was funny

:D:dunno:

when I was in oceano, I was totally happy with the performance with the ranger

do those guys know you call them fat???? lol

Edited by RICHARDCHEESE

do you know what kind of sand tires it had???

finding the right kind of paddles can be an expensive crapshoot. one guy i know, he runs a sand tires unlimited kind, and says they are pretty good.

we did alot of trying with different paddles and tires on a rhino 8 different sets. The ones that seemed to be the best were the itp terra crosses which are actually a dual purpose tire for sand and dirt we have had them on trails in fish lake to dumont and seem to be great tires.

we did alot of trying with different paddles and tires on a rhino 8 different sets. The ones that seemed to be the best were the itp terra crosses which are actually a dual purpose tire for sand and dirt we have had them on trails in fish lake to dumont and seem to be great tires.

cool, i would be worried about the weight differences, as well as the difference in width, length and power. all of those are co-efficients in the decision for paddles too.