Two-up riding

I asked a regular about two-up riding on one of the new fangled quads DESIGNED for two people. He was pretty sure it was still illegal. I found this:

CVC 38506. No operator of an all-terrain vehicle may carry a passenger when operating on public lands.

However, the operator of an all-terrain vehicle, that is designed for operation off of the highway by an operator with no more than one passenger, may carry a passenger when operating on public lands.

Amended Sec. 2, Ch. 252, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.

Do the LEOs still ticket for this? Any experiences out there?

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d16_5/vc38506.htm

I asked a regular about two-up riding on one of the new fangled quads DESIGNED for two people. He was pretty sure it was still illegal. I found this:

CVC 38506. No operator of an all-terrain vehicle may carry a passenger when operating on public lands.

However, the operator of an all-terrain vehicle, that is designed for operation off of the highway by an operator with no more than one passenger, may carry a passenger when operating on public lands.

Amended Sec. 2, Ch. 252, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.

Do the LEOs still ticket for this? Any experiences out there?

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d16_5/vc38506.htm

I am confused :blury: so is it saying you can or can't ride double on public land? :dunce:

I am confused :blury: so is it saying you can or can't ride double on public land? :dunce:

However, the operator of an all-terrain vehicle, that is designed for operation off of the highway by an operator with no more than one passenger (I think this means a quad designed to carry driver and one passenger)

may carry a passenger when operating on public lands.

i have a can am 800 ho xt 2 up quad that i ride a dumont...no problem with rangers..and will go

up comp at 38mph :dunce:

Ken colors told me that he has the same bike I do just bigger and he has the seat on the back as well and the rangers told him it was fine as long as they have a helmet on. :blury: This is why we haven't gone to dumont.Believe me I would rather not ride double,but i don't feel a 4 year old and 5 year old don't have the skills, and smarts to know there limitations as well of being aware of other riders yet,to where they are safe.I personally feel a child shouldn't ride under a uncontroled place until they are 7 or 8.That is why we only have gone to Utah.Just my opinion for my kids.

Edited by Dani

i'm confused as well , i had a friend that was riding there little daughter around on a quad and got pulled over by a leo . maybe we should print that out and carry it with us so the three year old can actually see the big dunes until we get a rhino .

i'm confused as well , i had a friend that was riding there little daughter around on a quad and got pulled over by a leo . maybe we should print that out and carry it with us so the three year old can actually see the big dunes until we get a rhino .

I agree with you and I am going to print it so that way I have it if we ever make it to dumont.I don't think chris can ride one of the boy's on his bike and get away with it.That is why I sold my sport quad and got the bike I did.And we are planning on getting a rhino,but not for another year.to many $$ for new truck and toy hauler just spent.

that's why we spend alot of time in duckcreek off of mammoth creek rd and sandhollow the rangers don't hassle you

coral pink is fine to.You are aloud to ride double in utah.And under the age of 8 can't ride on there own and if ages 8 to 16 do ride they have to take a riding course which I think that is great.

Just to inform anyone who want's to give me grief for riding doubles with my kids :D .My outlook on it is my small boy's are safer on a bike with me than on there own with speed.even though you can put a govenor on it.Kids that small don't have the motor skills they need to be in a place like dumont riding on there own.Yes it is dangerous,but us as adults are in that danger zone everytime we get on our bikes.You could be the best driver out there,but all it takes is one fool who does something stupid to destroy you.now when we ride with our kids we don't do the biggest hill,we don't go at top speed,and we don't ride where it is over crowded.And my kids where there gear.I know some of you have very strong opinions about riding double and that is fine.But as my kids parents I feel my kids will be safer with us until they learn in time how to control a bike and be safe in a uncontroled place.So please don't give me grief for it as we all do what we feel is best for our kids. :D

Edited by Dani

yeah my kids only 3. 4months the only way i let him ride his quad is me running behind him with a leash. we ride double in utah but your talking barely getting out of second and that were not hanging/or stuck at camp . since we don't have a rhino yet and he's def to young to be on his own -own .

yeah my kids only 3. 4months the only way i let him ride his quad is me running behind him with a leash. we ride double in utah but your talking barely getting out of second and that were not hanging/or stuck at camp . since we don't have a rhino yet and he's def to young to be on his own -own .

We do allow jaydin and Tristan to ride on there own but only in remote places where there is pretty much nobody around.And Chris or me ride on the side of them or we are running behind them.Thank you for not giving me grief.I am sure when everyone comes back this weekend they will have there say :dunce: Just hope there won't be to much harshness :mc_smiley: :blury::D

was this quad DESIGNED for 2 people... Does the operators handbook of that quad say its ok to carry passengers... Most quads on their fancy warning labels say NO PASSENGERS.... there is a small handfull of quads that are DESIGNED/MADE/BUILT for 2 people.. and these are the ones that you can use LEGALLY!

was this quad DESIGNED for 2 people... Does the operators handbook of that quad say its ok to carry passengers... Most quads on their fancy warning labels say NO PASSENGERS.... there is a small handfull of quads that are DESIGNED/MADE/BUILT for 2 people.. and these are the ones that you can use LEGALLY!

I am aware of that,but we were questining the atricle that pinzEOD posted.That was all. :D

Edited by Dani

I am aware of that,but we were questining the atricle that pinzEOD posted.That was all. :D

cliff notes version.

You have quad

Quad built for 2 people

its LEGAL go for it!

any other quad

DONT DO IT

cliff notes version.

You have quad

Quad built for 2 people

its LEGAL go for it!

any other quad

DONT DO IT

I take it this is a touchy subject for you :beercheers: .I understand what you are saying.But do you alway's follow the rule's :smoker: ?How many kids do you see on quads that are bigger than what they are suppose to be on by law :unsure: ?

There are kids that are riding 80's, 90's ,200's, 250's, and 300's.That have no buisness being on them when there age doesn't meet the requirment.That to me is more dangerous than riding double with a responsible adult.The reason for the age to the size is bigger bike,and more speed to handle which right there put's a big red flag up.But what other people do are not my buisness as long as I know I am being as safe as I can be.My 11 year old is a great rider and she can ride bikes as high as a 300, but No is what I tell her because of the size and speed,she is to young.

Here is a example: picture this...Box 1...you are out riding your rail,think you found a great spot where nobody is at,you are going top speed ,doing jumps having a blast.Now on the other side of the hill you are about to jump, there is my 5 year old cruising around on his 50,and now we think we found this great spot where nobody is riding and feel safe for him to ride,Than all of sudden we see your rail flying over the hill,and we are sreaming to Jaydin get out of the way,he panicks can't figure which direction you are going to land because he does not have the skills yet and you squash him flat.Not a pretty sight. :bash:

Box 2......same description as box1 but we are on the bike with him.Now we see you flying over and are able to haul a$$ out of you way because we have the skills to know how to get around it."Hopefully I add" Now that is a happy ending and a much prettier sight to see. :dance: :D

Edited by Dani

I take it this is a touchy subject for you :ban-split:

Not really..

Your quote:

I am aware of that,but we were questining the atricle that pinzEOD posted.That was all.

My reply:

cliff notes version.

You have quad

Quad built for 2 people

its LEGAL go for it!

any other quad

DONT DO IT

You asked about the article pinzeod posted if you RE READ it.. .it says what i posted. If its built for 2 people its legal. Hence the cliffnotes version! :chev_bowtie:

Not really..

Your quote:

I am aware of that,but we were questining the atricle that pinzEOD posted.That was all.

My reply:

cliff notes version.

You have quad

Quad built for 2 people

its LEGAL go for it!

any other quad

DONT DO IT

You asked about the article pinzeod posted if you RE READ it.. .it says what i posted. If its built for 2 people its legal. Hence the cliffnotes version! :chev_bowtie:

Sorry Nick for my misunderstanding I :ban-split: I got what you meant now. :D

The letter of the law and the intent of the law gets all mixed up a lot.

The intent of the law is to keep passengers safe... two adults riding on a quad meant only for one person can be disastrous in some circumstances.

Unfortunately, the letter of the law means everyone gets caught in the net, including small children just learning the feel of riding before trying it for themselves.

Vehicles designed for two passengers are not inside that net.

Vicki