Need some input

Dani, Do not let anyone else stop you from posting your opinions. Your opinions are valid no matter who disagrees with them, and it helps those of us that represent the users to know how the users feel. :rockwoot: B) :beercheers:

Thanks for the kind reply,posting your opinions and thoughts are exactly that "yours"people don't need to be rude about it on there reply's though.There are nicer way's to say things to get your point across.But hey nobody's perfect. :D Thanks again.

I don't see anywhere in that law that has to do with seat belts for children only about

riding off road veh looks like more to do with quads or motorcycle. Is there a seat belt law that can be enforced for off road use. :D:D

I saw a wonderful example of why we DO need laws regarding side-by-side use just this past weekend.

A toddler, yes a TODDLER, was literally standing behind the wheel of a Rhino with "dad" sitting on the passenger side. The vehicle was in motion, not sitting in a camp somewhere along the way, but driving along side the road on the flats. Talk about wanting to punch someone in the head! I honestly don't think this man thought about the consequences had there been an accident. That's why they are called ACCIDENTS, no one plans on it, but it can happen to anyone!

Rhinos, Rangers, golf carts, whatever you wanna call them, are not toys! They are a motorized vehicle designed for off road use only. Just because they are not street legal does not make it O.K. for a child to operate one, ever. Age limit, I say yes. Driving permit for under 16, why not? Ticket the parents, guardian, etc., absolutely!! Tougher fines, big time yes! The safety course required should also include footage/photos of actual results of such "accidents". That just MIGHT get a parent to think about making better choices.

A designated seat with seatbelt, harness is best, for all passengers at all times, no exceptions. Special child restraints, such as required by law in a car, for babies/children under a certain weight, something to consider. Helmets required for passengers under a certain age, also something to consider. Helmets for adults, IMO, is still a personal choice when other safety equipment (i.e. roll cage, harness) is installed and with proper use.

:ban-split: I'm sure that's more than :mc_smiley: worth.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission is already considering a petition that would ban kids under the age of 16 from using an OHV

AWSOME!! So long as Tiff can still bring out her kids 80... :ban-split:

Seriously though, strap 'em down or kick 'em out. What idiot doesn't take all precautions for their kid's safety?

I agree with with stricter enforcement of the laws already in place. Let's put some of this back on the powers that be not doing their job as it already exists instead of making new laws that won't be enforced. I am also for harsher consequences for the parents of unsupervised minors. For example: If a minor is caught breaking safety laws they could have their vehicle confiscated and impounded and the parents would have to pay to get them back. Also if parents were charged with child endangerment when they know their kids are doing something dangerous like a toddler standing up driving a Rhino then it might make some people pay attention. There has never been age limits for off road vehicles but maybe some realistic guidelines need to be put in place. My kid was riding a Banshee at 13. He was also 5'9" tall and 175lbs at 13 years old. He could handle a Banshee with no problem. When I see kids that look like they are 8 years old and can barely reach the shifter and brakes riding a Raptor I get mad. That's just stupid. On the other hand a 15 year old kid ridng a 90cc quad is stupid also.

Edited by Don29palms

It's simple. Farm equipment should be on farms. These things are for hauling manure, wood, tools, sod, rocks, dirt, you know, farm stuff.

NOT PEOPLE.

Yup farm equipment...paint it trick it out whatever....still farm..

I agree with with stricter enforcement of the laws already in place. Let's put some of this back on the powers that be not doing their job as it already exists instead of making new laws that won't be enforced. I am also for harsher consequences for the parents of unsupervised minors. For example: If a minor is caught breaking safety laws they could have their vehicle confiscated and impounded and the parents would have to pay to get them back. Also if parents were charged with child endangerment when they know their kids are doing something dangerous like a toddler standing up driving a Rhino then it might make some people pay attention. There has never been age limits for off road vehicles but maybe some realistic guidelines need to be put in place. My kid was riding a Banshee at 13. He was also 5'9" tall and 175lbs at 13 years old. He could handle a Banshee with no problem. When I see kids that look like they are 8 years old and can barely reach the shifter and brakes riding a Raptor I get mad. That's just stupid. On the other hand a 15 year old kid ridng a 90cc quad is stupid also.

Don, you and I really seem to be on the same page on this issue, pun intended. :D I especially like your idea of impounding the misused vehicle!! A ticket is a slap on the wrist. Once the LEO is gone, they're back on it doing the same crap. Take the "toy" away, they can no longer play. Child endangerment charges need to be pressed before a child gets hurt, not because.

As age limit goes, I was refering to Rhinos in particular. I've seen too many kids obviously too young to handle driving those things running amuck in the dunes with no adult supervision. It's just plain scary to watch. There are plenty of age appropriate quads out there and a responsible parent would make the right choice as far as skills go. Our youngest is 10 and this was the last season he'll be on the 90. It no longer can keep up with his skills! I was the one not ready to move him up to the 250. (He wants the Predator 500, I say "dream on!")

Edited by dinicolady