YFZ Sprocket question

cycoguy

I have a brand new 07 YFZ, so far its stock. My near future upgrades are as planned, curits sparks pipe, K&N filter, and re jetted. I was browsing some sites and noticed how cheap sprocket kits are, and I remember reading somewhere on here about people asking about them. Well im just wondering if it really will make a differance, and if so, what is the best gear count to go with. If it matters what I use my bike for, I love Hill shooting, but I also dune alot, which is no big deal becuase as it is I can already keep up with the group.

Any help or opinions are appritiated! thanks! :dunno:

up a tooth in the front will get you in the higher rpm's same gear(like 3rd), drop a tooth and you get lower rpm's in a the next gear(like 4th).

somthin like that. i have a 15t in the front and i scream in third but cant carry 4th. went to a 13 and i now am in mid rpm range in 4th. also depends on the grade of the hill.

Capt

up a tooth in the front will get you in the higher rpm's same gear(like 3rd), drop a tooth and you get lower rpm's in a the next gear(like 4th).

somthin like that. i have a 15t in the front and i scream in third but cant carry 4th. went to a 13 and i now am in mid rpm range in 4th. also depends on the grade of the hill.

Capt

I was told that changing the front is a bit drastic, It was reccomended to me to change the rear by one maybe two, with motor work done.

I do it all the time with my business. Go 13T for the dunes and 15T up front for trail riding. 13T you shift more, and the 15T you shift less, thus holding the gear longer. You also get more MPH with a 15T. :idiot:

post-1304-1175707428.jpg

Edited by Bound4Dirt

I do it all the time with my business. Go 13T for the dunes and 15T up front for trail riding. 13T you shift more, and the 15T you shift less, thus holding the gear longer. You also get more MPH with a 15T. :headbang1:

You would also loose bottom end with a 15T, I would think that for trails you want to keep your bottom end and maybe go up on desert riding where you would have long straigh aways (I am right?). I also believe that the stock gearing is 14/38, but I could be wrong, just my 2 cents.

You would also loose bottom end with a 15T, I would think that for trails you want to keep your bottom end and maybe go up on desert riding where you would have long straigh aways (I am right?). I also believe that the stock gearing is 14/38, but I could be wrong, just my 2 cents.

For me I like it. You don't shift as much. We have raced the 14T and the 15T and I really didn't notice much loss in the bottom end. When I trail ride with my 15T I usually stick in 2nd gear. With the 14T I am in 2nd and 3rd. Back and forth. They usually run $20 shipped. Cheap way to find out what you like. :headbang1:

http://www.magicracing.com/search.asp?keyw...1&catid=257

My son's Suzuki 125 couldn't make it up a local sand hill here. We put a 15T and with the speed it gained, he could make it up after. Food for thought

Edited by Bound4Dirt