2003 Raptor Problems

Chad Peterson

I have an 02 with a similar problem except with 3rd gear (I think..or is it 2nd?..hmmm) . First make sure it isn't your clutch. If it is popping out of gear, it's pretty much time to have the trans gone through. You will need to replace the gear(s). The cause of that is the "dogs" or teeth on the sides of the gear are starting to round off and don't hold under power. If you want to try and get any more life out of it, be real easy and carefull when shifting. It only gets worse and you might have to replace more items such as shift forks and/ or main shafts if the gear gets hot and does further damage.

Here is that part that I am talking about starts to round off...

post-3-1176262864.jpg

It is not popping out of gear, When I had the cases split We looked for rounding or odd shaped edges. I tried to adjust the clutch via the manual. Have you fixed yours yet? Could you stop by sometime to make sure it is adjusted correctly, or I could bring it anywhere needed. Thanks for the fast reply.

Chad

It sounds like you have a clutch problem. It would be a rare case for a transmission to go out in an '03 Raptor. What clutch did you use when you replaced it? I lost my cluutch in one ride when I used an EPI clutch. I am by Stephanie and the I-215 also. Let me know if you need help finding the problem. I have had alot of experience with the Raptor.

It is not popping out of gear, When I had the cases split We looked for rounding or odd shaped edges. I tried to adjust the clutch via the manual. Have you fixed yours yet? Could you stop by sometime to make sure it is adjusted correctly, or I could bring it anywhere needed. Thanks for the fast reply.

Chad

no, I have not fixed mine yet. It has only popped out of gear a few times when under heavy accel and banging gears kinda hard. I haven't even messed with my clutch so I don't know if I'd even be of any assistance to you. Sorry. :wedgie:

It sounds like you have a clutch problem. It would be a rare case for a transmission to go out in an '03 Raptor. What clutch did you use when you replaced it? I lost my cluutch in one ride when I used an EPI clutch. I am by Stephanie and the I-215 also. Let me know if you need help finding the problem. I have had alot of experience with the Raptor.

Rare for an 03? What if he rides the crap out of it? If it's rare how do you explain my 02 with this scenerio then, Dave? :woo_hoo: I guess probably because it's seen some long hard hours. :crash::clap: Oh and hey. my 02 with 200+ hrs on it has the STOCK clutch in it too. :clap:

Let Dave look at it he is my go to guy on both my raptors fixed a oiling problem none of

the shops in vegas could find .The 2001 raptors are the one with weak 2nd gear they upgraded

to beefier 2nd gear and shft in 2002 and changed again slightly for 2003.

:crash: :wedgie:

Thanks for the replys, Dave I sent you an PM. Give me a call or your number so you can check it out. Thanks.

Also I wish I would have taken pictures of all the parts before putting it back together but every thing looked new. So I dont know. I guess I am lucky that the dune season is pretty much over.

Chad

Edited by Chad Peterson

• 6 months later...

my little brother has an 03 raptor and his 2nd gear was slipping but then it just destroyed 2nd gear so we tore the engine down and ordering another 2nd gear. im guessing this happens a lot with raptors my friends 02 did the same thing.

Does anybody have some spare Tranny Parts lying around, looking for the 4th wheel gear, ordered from Bikebandit but with the fires in San Diego I don't know if it will be here on time. If anybody is willing to part with there used/new part, I will pay for it. Let me know. Thanks Just PM me.

Chad

Edited by Chad Peterson