Dodge intercoolers failing

I have replaced two intercoolers on 05 dodge trucks with 5.9 diesels in the past two weeks. They had the plastic tanks at the inlet and outlet ports. The tanks separated from the main section at the seam. Both trucks have 5th wheel hitches on them. Neither had any hop-up kits. I checked mine and it had plastic tanks. I replaced it. (Warranty) The new intercooler from Mopar has aluminum tanks welded to the main section. If your cooler fails, you will lose power, NOW!

There is no recall or TSB on this. This is just a "heads up" to all Dodge diesel owners. Don't run to the dealer and want the cooler replaced. I replaced mine because I could. Just be aware of the potential. All trucks were 05s including mine. FYI. (Factory intercoolers are 700 bucks)

Mine is a 2004.5 Ram and I have cast iron tanks....2006 do as well. They went back to those after the 2005 tanks did what yours did. Some sucked them selves in as well.

I have an 04.5 Dodge Ram, I have heard of the stock intercoolers failing. I have Installed the banks intercooler, I love it! with the six gun, high ram intake and exhaust that puppy hauls, well you Know. I have the stock intercooler put away, I believe it is not plastic at the inlet or output. anyone needing this item, just pm me and will let you have the cooler a hell of a lot cheaper than Dodge........

post-2594-1179376791.jpg

Pretty common knowledge in the Dodge world, the plastic will blow and Dodge would not do a TSB, just wait until yours blow on the side of the road and then they replace under warranty. First 05's had plastic and after all the problems they started building the later ones right. Thanks for the heads up for those that don't know!