a 4 dollar seal.....buell dissection...

trqjnky

I noiced a rapid oil loss in the buell on friday. so i pulled the inspection cover off the tranny and about 2 qts of engine oil came spilling out.... Bad crank seal. :headbang1::laughoff: So i called the harley dealership and they had the seal by monday morning. 4 dollar seal and i have to tear the entire primary drive off....

getting the clutch off required a special harley tool that pressed the basket in. it screwed on the center adjusting nut and pressed down. i made my own with a piece of flat stock and 2 sockets, drilled a hole in the flat stock and stuck the sockets under it, put a nut on the adjuster stud and VALLA. all in all it went fairly smooth, no problems at all. except i need to get a drive on bike lift so i can be at seat level instead of siting on the ground.

heres some pics...

primary cover off

oldshitandcrankseal155.jpg

stator and clutch w/primary drive, both nuts needed torqued to 250 ft lbs!! :laughoff:

oldshitandcrankseal154.jpg

primary drive off, at this point i considered taking the tranny out since i was already here, decided against it...

oldshitandcrankseal160.jpg

and the coulpret, a pos seal made me tear down all that stuff. it was soo brittle that it cracked apart as i pried it out....

oldshitandcrankseal163.jpg