Computer Problems

Danielle

Unless I am missing something here, you cannot reformat the drive and install XP over Vista. If the machine came with Vista, you are stuck with Vista, especially on a laptop. If you had XP installed previously and then upgraded to Vista, then yes you could go back to XP, but only by manually removing Vista and then grabbing all of the "OLD" files from XP and reinstalling them.

The only prerequisite for the uninstallation of Vista to work is the existence of the Windows.OLD folder on the partition with the operating system. This folder contains all the files from the previous installation of Windows, and without it, you cannot complete the task of removing Vista and switching back to the Windows version you were using before. I am not the leading authority on MS, but trust me, don't reformat and then install XP...you will wish you hadn't.

Unless I am missing something here, you cannot reformat the drive and install XP over Vista. If the machine came with Vista, you are stuck with Vista, especially on a laptop. If you had XP installed previously and then upgraded to Vista, then yes you could go back to XP, but only by manually removing Vista and then grabbing all of the "OLD" files from XP and reinstalling them.

The only prerequisite for the uninstallation of Vista to work is the existence of the Windows.OLD folder on the partition with the operating system. This folder contains all the files from the previous installation of Windows, and without it, you cannot complete the task of removing Vista and switching back to the Windows version you were using before. I am not the leading authority on MS, but trust me, don't reformat and then install XP...you will wish you hadn't.

Thanks Ash, I don't think we are going to do that anyway's.It is a brand new computer with vista on it and I called microsoft today and they said I could do it but I will probally regret it.So anyway walt is going to take the computer and make it run smoother for me.So hopefully that will all work in the long run.

Thanks Ash, I don't think we are going to do that anyway's.It is a brand new computer with vista on it and I called microsoft today and they said I could do it but I will probally regret it.So anyway walt is going to take the computer and make it run smoother for me.So hopefully that will all work in the long run.

No problem Danielle, I just don't want to see a new computer ruined. I use both Vista and XP on my office computers and the Vista OS on my desk is a test run only system. Once I started using the Vista OS, it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Walt will be able to hook you up, but really, the best way to understand it is to use it as much as possible, and if I may, and I don't mean to insult anyone, go to Barnes and Noble and buy the Vista for Dummies, if they have it in stock. Microsoft just didn't do their homework before releasing this OS and then cramming it down everyone's throat. If there's anything I can help with, give me a call.

Ash:

Any computer can be formatted and another OS installed. I cant see legally how someone can purchase a computer/laptop and not be able to change what OS is on it.

I have messed w/ Vista for over a year now on a spare drive on a brand new laptop. I plan to stay on XP for as long as I can. Mickeysoft is just bending everyone over :finger: with Vista :laughoff:

I'm sorry Dani, but with statements like:

It doesn't drop me when I am on the internet.It wont let me log onto the internet.

....even I get confused. :mc_smiley:

Ash:

Any computer can be formatted and another OS installed. I cant see legally how someone can purchase a computer/laptop and not be able to change what OS is on it.

I have messed w/ Vista for over a year now on a spare drive on a brand new laptop. I plan to stay on XP for as long as I can. Mickeysoft is just bending everyone over :MBdance: with Vista :laughoff:

Ash has a point here. Recently I had to install some software on a Public Works machine and the desktop tech was commenting about the fact that the machine was accidentaly shipped with Vista installed. Where I work we purchase the Vista license, but we also ask Dell to install XP, as we're not ready to deploy Vista across the county. The tech was saying that it was almost impossible to completely remove Vista and get a "clean" install of XP. I also agree with you Walt when you state the legal issue....however it doesn't mean they have to make it easy. Just like the post someone put up about working on the new Fords, and having to lift the cab for what used to be normal maintenance. But hey, I'm just a programmer not a desktop tech......what do I know. :finger:

cmyfirepole:

There is a way around everything! If I need a drive "that" clean, I will just remove it from the machine and load it onto my pc (pc or laptop drive) and wipe it clean. Normally what they do is load the OS files onto a seperate hidden partition. Delete that and your golden. Just another way of MS to force vista down the publics throat.

Computers are way to complicated for me.I dont do much on them but when I have been use to xp and going to something all new it makes me confused and frustrated.So if walt can clean it up for me and just make it easier for me than I will deal with vista.

Gerald...As for the internet.I put in my wireless code and 95% of the time when I log onto this computer as I just did my little icon on the bottom of the computer where it shows the wireless symbol it say's disconnected so than I have to do a diagnoss check 1 or 2 x to unlock it so it will connect.And I don't think that should happen. :laughoff:

ITs a hidden system restore partition.. Fdisk Format Reinstall like every other good thing... :D If its done properly the way bill gates intended back in the early dos days you should have no problem... if all else fails grab a knoppix disk Gdisk the damn thing and walla no partitions whatsoever.. throw in xp and let it do its thing.

The thing that happens is when you leave the system restore partition on the drive and you install xp.. it trys using the system restore feature and freaks the fk out. its gotta go bye bye in order for xp to work properly. :D

Nick:

Try system commander..... loads from a floppy (or a cd if you want) and loads into memory. You can do what ever you want to the drive from there no matter how its formatted or what OS is on it. Easy fix for those pita drives.

Danielle:

Your quite welcome and I will see you on friday

Nick:

Try system commander..... loads from a floppy (or a cd if you want) and loads into memory. You can do what ever you want to the drive from there no matter how its formatted or what OS is on it. Easy fix for those pita drives.

Danielle:

Your quite welcome and I will see you on friday

Right on Walt :laughing:

I don't know about anyone else but I am totally confused :lol: and don't understand most of what you guys are saying. :lol:

Hopefully Danielle you do and get the putter to work for you. :blah:

No Bev I don't know anything they are talking about :blah: All I know is what works for me and what does not work for me.So if Walt gets it running for me the way I undestand than that's all that matters. :laughing:

No Bev I don't know anything they are talking about :lol: All I know is what works for me and what does not work for me.So if Walt gets it running for me the way I undestand than that's all that matters. :laughing:

Happy to hear that Walt will be able to help you. :blah: I know when my putter acts up I am totaly lost. :blah:

Danielle:

Not really.... I'd be willing to bet almost 1/2 my day is spent answering computer questions :)

How is your machine been by the way? Hope all is well :)

It is running well Thank you!Chris finally got his lap top back today.

I do have a couple questions to ask you.I will call you tomorrow or fri. if that is ok.

Glad to hear you didn't throw up at dumont :banghead: