Benefit Show for Jason McNelis of Cornerstone at HOB

dunefreak

I'm gonna try and make it. I thought I'd help spread the word.

Cornerstone is a really decent local band here in Vegas. Jason was the drummer who was killed.

show info....

post-3-1190226849_thumb.jpg

more info @ KOMP: http://www.komp.com/skin/graphic.php?secti...ontentId=664106

Here's what happened.....

Tribute to a music lover killed on Summerlin Parkway

A father will be remembered for his laughter and love for music. Jason McNelis died Tuesday in a violent crash on Summerlin Parkway and Anasazi. Marie Mortera tells how friends and family are making sure his tribute is a fitting one.

In a place that focuses on good vibes through good music, there's an obvious change in tune. "My throat has been raw from crying. It's been hard to do my job," KOMP DJ Laurie Steele said. For this long time DJ, that's a phrase you wouldn't expect to hear. But the unexpected happened.

"Someone called me while I was working and I lost it while working on the air," Steele explains. It was news that her long-time intern Jason McNeelis was killed Tuesday afternoon when a flatbed truck blew a tire on Summerlin Parkway and ran into him.

He was minutes away from his pregnant wife and toddler son. The studio where he worked with Steele has been both a comforting and painful place since. All around Steele are memories of his work on Homegrown, a show that was dedicated to local musicians like Jason. And now, rightly so, that time slot Sunday night will become his memorial.

"It was the least I could to honor somebody who meant so much to me and my program." And it's Steele's way of helping the family he left behind. In studio that night will be Jason's wife, sister and mother, along with members of the local music scene.

"I don't anticipate a dry eye in the house Sunday night," Steele says. "It's going to be a tough show to do." But she says it's a show that had to be done to remember a friend she'll never forget. The show starts at 10 Sunday night.

post-3-1190226874_thumb.jpg