Just Returned From A 4 Day Trip To Dumont

Ross and Alice

The weather report said that the winds should die down by 6:00 PM on Thursday,, but the wind blew well until midnite.

Then they blew off and on all weekend.

The CHP was running the airplane and teams of CHP cars stopping entire groups that were speeding both ways on the 15 between Hesperia and Victorville.

Surprised to see the plane flying in high winds.

We went into Primm late Saturday because the winds shut us down. The rain detoured around the Dunes on both sides and left them dry.

Got the kids all nite passes for all the rides at Buffalo Bills.

We had a Dumont t shirts on,, so several other dune families approached us and introduced themselves, and we held court at the hangin' tree bar while the kids played.

Seems that some years are all rain,, some all wind,, and then some perfect weather.

It all works out.

I try and make each trip a little different, and this one was no exception.

We did the Speary wash trail ride (pictured).

The lower trail seems more interesting for the kids. 4.4 miles each way.

Crossing the creek slowly, about 8 times each way, and in the shallowest spot is essential for the YFZs and Suzukis grouchy ignitions,, but the Hondas handle the wet with no problem. Don't take the cheapie China quads on this ride, they usually can't handle any moisture I'm told by parents.

It's a beautiful fun ride bring the camera. We made it to the spot of the famous train wreck. The railroad grading is still there, some of the trail runs on the grading and thru the cuts too.

The wooden ties were bought up by Death Valley Scottie some decades ago and burned in his boilers to produce electricity and hot water for his castle.

I suggest knobbies, though the ITP sand stars are quality rubber and handle it OK.

alistrafficpix047.jpg

alistrafficpix045.jpg

Alice and the kids, mid-way on the Speary Wash trail ride.

Lots of fun places to ride to.

If ya find yourself there and one of the Jeep Clubs is having a function, they often have free maps to places of interest.

The Charles Manson house is one trip.

Sheriff Stevenson, famed for apprehending a hiding Manson by noticing his hair hanging out of a closed cuppord in the house, is still active and you can occasionally meet him on duty at the Dunes. Teriffic sense of humor.

His son Scott works for LADWP as a High Voltage Transmission lineman between LA, Nevada And Delta Utah.

I worked with him for about 10 of my 37 years on the job.

Edited by Dime Store Hood