Ok to park by Sperry Wash gate?

iweb

Wife and I are thinking of doing a day trip up Sperry Wash at Dumont and was wondering if we can park by the gate before going across the stream? I have not been out for a while and don't remember if there is a no parking sign there? Don't want to spend the $30 to park on sand and drive to the wash.

My guess woud be NO WAY!!! Could you imagine how many people would start parking out of the camping area to avoid paying? Park in the gully it's a quick ride to the wash....

$30 is cheap insurance if you get hurt and/or need help...

Ask the BLM when you get there and see what they say.. LOL

My guess woud be NO WAY!!! Could you imagine how many people would start parking out of the camping area to avoid paying? Park in the gully it's a quick ride to the wash....

$30 is cheap insurance if you get hurt and/or need help...

Ask the BLM when you get there and see what they say..

OOPS!!!!

Edited by indagully

Wife and I are thinking of doing a day trip up Sperry Wash at Dumont and was wondering if we can park by the gate before going across the stream? I have not been out for a while and don't remember if there is a no parking sign there? Don't want to spend the $30 to park on sand and drive to the wash.

I completely agree. I can't see spending $30 for a single day trip, I think it's pretty ridiculous. I would guess that as long as you haven't passed the fee required signs then you wouldn't be required to pay. According to BLM's map it doesn't even look like the wash is included in their area prescribed as "Dumont Dunes".....http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/dumont.html

I know years ago people parked there all the time but way back when people were allowed to camp at the creek too and I think that area is officially closed to camping but don't know about just parking. I have seen trucks parked there before with trailers and I assumed they were in the wash and I was trying to remember if there are any no parking signs up there now????

If the guy gets the camp ground put in by Tecopa then I could park there and drive the Rhino down to Dumont but I have not taken that route yet so I wouldn't know where to park now.