Gearing?

ocean's 4

:dolphin: Hey guys, need advice. I want to regear my quad, 2003 Banshee. Stock gearing is 14 front, 41 rear. I want to re-gear it so it gets up the dunes a little better. Anybody have suggestions on a good gear combo?? Also, if I do re-gear, will a stock size chain work?

:grin: Hey guys, need advice. I want to regear my quad, 2003 Banshee. Stock gearing is 14 front, 41 rear. I want to re-gear it so it gets up the dunes a little better. Anybody have suggestions on a good gear combo?? Also, if I do re-gear, will a stock size chain work?

I dropped down to a 13 tooth in the front and it is a whole lot better at climbing. Quicker out of the whole too. Still dunes real nice also. I would invest in a case saver while you are in there. Can get one for around 15 bucks or so.

I dropped down to a 13 tooth in the front and it is a whole lot better at climbing. Quicker out of the whole too. Still dunes real nice also. I would invest in a case saver while you are in there. Can get one for around 15 bucks or so.

:grin: I talked to the tech at Toomey Racing, he suggested a 13 front, and 40 rear with my setup. So I got that, plus a new chain, mine was a bit on the stretched side. I'm running a 10 paddle now, and it seems just a little sluggish going up comp and other big dunes. Hopefully this will give me what I'm looking for.

Edited by Ocean03

The 13 tooth in the front and 41 in the rear works great. If you put new sprockets on I would recommend putting a new chain on at the same time. A worn chain can wear out sprockets much faster.

Using a 41 tooth in the rear you would have a final gear ratio of:

2.93 to 1 with a 14 tooth in front,

3.15 to 1 with a 13 tooth in front,

3.42 to 1 with a 12 tooth in front.

I also strongly agree withh J.J. about the case saver. It's definitely alot cheaper to replace than a side case if the chain comes off. :grin: