header pipe turning dark?

CTD Power

I have a ltz 400 quad with a full yoshi ex, k&n with no lid,dj kit with a 160 needle on 3rd clip and turned out to 3 1/2 turns out and my header pipe is really really discolored (not the normal slight discoloring) what makes this happen is it to lean or two rich? Do i need to change my main jet or is it just a tuning problem. i run at dumont only which is 1200 to 2200 feet i heard. Thanks

too lean however... i do know that on my old 426 it was normal for that pipe to glow red hot and discolor.. Just the way the pipe was coated or something... However i would probably richen up the jetting just a little.. Better to be a little rich than a little to lean. :D

I have a ltz 400 quad with a full yoshi ex, k&n with no lid,dj kit with a 160 needle on 3rd clip and turned out to 3 1/2 turns out and my header pipe is really really discolored (not the normal slight discoloring) what makes this happen is it to lean or two rich? Do i need to change my main jet or is it just a tuning problem. i run at dumont only which is 1200 to 2200 feet i heard. Thanks

What color of DISCOLORING.Like what color is it now?

Well i have had this pipe for two years and it looks new still but on my other 400 (the one im talking about) i took it out one weekend and it looks really dark,brown,dark blue, almost black looking.

Its 3 1/2 turns now.

Do i need to change the main jet to richen it or just turn that screw out where i drilled the brass thingy out off? thanks

Edited by CTD Power

Well i have had this pipe for two years and it looks new still but on my other 400 (the one im talking about) i took it out one weekend and it looks really dark,brown,dark blue, almost black looking.

Its 3 1/2 turns now.

Do i need to change the main jet to richen it or just turn that screw out where i drilled the brass thingy out off? thanks

Dark brown and Dark Blue really isnt that bad because on my 450 i put on a new sparks pipe that was on since the MLK trip.And right now it is brown,dark blue.It should be ok.

What’s happening to the metal is that it is getting so HOT it is being a heat treating processes. And different metals react differently to certain temperatures of heat, and apparently the metal they use for our aftermarket exhaust systems turn this color at the temperature of what the header is experiencing. So I wouldn’t be too worried about the color, just check the spark plug and make sure there inset any white or grey sh*t on it, just to be sure that the motor isn’t running lean. But if you want to feel safe, run it a little richer.

What do i do to get it to run richer?

The reason why i worry is b/c my 05 400 has the same exact set up and the yoshi has been on for years and it has hardly any color to it at all,it looks new still,now on my 07 its been on for 2-3 days and looks very bad.

What do i do to get it to run richer?

The reason why i worry is b/c my 05 400 has the same exact set up and the yoshi has been on for years and it has hardly any color to it at all,it looks new still,now on my 07 its been on for 2-3 days and looks very bad.

the 05 and the 07 are different size carburetors , and camshafts so , the tune is going to be different !

Well just to be safe i put in a 165dj and took out my 160dj

and in my older 400 i put in a 170 and so far everything is working perfect, a 160 in this one was running like crap.

My new one ran pretty good with a 160 but i thought i would be safeer putting in the 165. Man what a mess all this stuff is,now i can change jets without unhooking anything and in 5 mins lol

• 2 weeks later...