RIDGE RUNNER

GGZOBZ

I drove a friends Ridge Runner (Baja) and WOW.

This thing runs 75 MPH all day long, is quick as heck and has great ergonomic and functional features. It has nearly 18 inches of travel and 22 inches ground clearance. Also, its the same width as a stock Rhino. Great for trails including the Utah Paiute.

I was going to buy another Rhino for my family and do some crazy mods to the 06. But im going to buy a Ridge Runner instead.

This one from the Ridge Runner website is the actual one that I drove. Its my next ride.

The pic itself is awesome, but doesnt do it justice.

post-1328-1207965782_thumb.jpg

I drove a friends Ridge Runner (Baja) and WOW.

This thing runs 75 MPH all day long, is quick as heck and has great ergonomic and functional features. It has nearly 18 inches of travel and 22 inches ground clearance. Also, its the same width as a stock Rhino. Great for trails including the Utah Paiute.

I was going to buy another Rhino for my family and do some crazy mods to the 06. But im going to buy a Ridge Runner instead.

Those things are really nice looking machines, fun to drive.

My friend also has one with the Polaris 700 in it. He is not real happy with the performance at the dunes but his wife loves it.

We just talked about it the other day because it keeps blowing belts, even the EPI belt which is built for 100 HP snow machines. If we stick a clutch kit in it we can get it to stop blowing belts but the top end will suffer.

I don't think there would be any issues with it on the trails but we both think for the dunes it would of been better if it was as a 4WD. Since it is a 2 WD it needs more wheel spin for climbing in the dunes, but clutching it for more top end will only make the drive belt blow more often.

Did they stick a different motor in the new models? My friends RR won't do 75.

They are now using the 800 FI, which does an easy 75. My buddy with the blue one in the photo says its awesome at the dunes, and I will have to verify that before I spend well over $20K.

But, I only in the steep stuff use my 4WD in my Rhino, so I am less worried about needing the wheel spin in the RR. Its my understanding that RR has fixed a number of minor problems, including the belt issues. I will definitely keep you posted.

They are now using the 800 FI, which does an easy 75. My buddy with the blue one in the photo says its awesome at the dunes, and I will have to verify that before I spend well over $20K.

But, I only in the steep stuff use my 4WD in my Rhino, so I am less worried about needing the wheel spin in the RR. Its my understanding that RR has fixed a number of minor problems, including the belt issues. I will definitely keep you posted.

I'll let rick know so he can see if they have a fix for his. We wre thinking of sending the clutch to EPI and seeing what they can do with it. :D

atv cycle sports has done some work and testing with the RR and i know they could give you some more info. they have at least 2 customers with them a yellow one and a candy red one.

My buddy bought this one from them. Apparently, this was supposed to be Steve's personal one and is waiting for another one like this. My friend is really close friends with the guys at ATV/Cycle Sports.

Those things are really nice looking machines, fun to drive.

My friend also has one with the Polaris 700 in it. He is not real happy with the performance at the dunes but his wife loves it.

We just talked about it the other day because it keeps blowing belts, even the EPI belt which is built for 100 HP snow machines. If we stick a clutch kit in it we can get it to stop blowing belts but the top end will suffer.

I don't think there would be any issues with it on the trails but we both think for the dunes it would of been better if it was as a 4WD. Since it is a 2 WD it needs more wheel spin for climbing in the dunes, but clutching it for more top end will only make the drive belt blow more often.

the polaris side by sides are all in the same boat...motor doesnt make enough hp....tranny wont wont clutch properly in the sand....putting new belts and weights on it makes the belts blow easier......its all documented on www.prcforum.com... a ranger and rzr forum site

after researching upgrades for my ranger for over a year...i decided to leave it basically stock.....

the polaris side by sides are all in the same boat...motor doesnt make enough hp....tranny wont wont clutch properly in the sand....putting new belts and weights on it makes the belts blow easier......its all documented on www.prcforum.com... a ranger and rzr forum site

after researching upgrades for my ranger for over a year...i decided to leave it basically stock.....

You have to use more than weights. The guys over at EPI are the guru's of clutching CVT's. They can make the belts last longer however top end suffers something that is not desirable in the sand. They use different helixes springs and weights.

Trying to get more RPM to the wheels for the dunes means more stress on the belts. That’s what Ricks RR needs.

Using the factory or Dayco (Carlisle) belt won't hold up. The EPI severe duty belt is better but I don't know how much better. I have not received any feedback from the RZR or Ranger folks I've sold them to. Since I sold only a few Dayco (Carlise) belts and started getting complaints I assume this is a good thing as far as the EPI belt goes.

(In The Rhino, the Dayco (Carlisle) belts will fail in 3 days at the dunes when riding hard. I have been running the EPI on my Rhino for 2 seasons with Big Bore Kit and NOS and it still appears to be good.

My friend, who has the RR that said the EPI belt failed, is now not sure what belt he has in it. He now says it could be the EPI that still in it.

EPI sells 3 belts, the Severe Duty belt made in Japan the Super duty and the Standard. I've only used the Severe Duty belt as they are supposed to be a 100 HP belt.

As far as my Rhino goes the EPI belt made a believer out of me.

talk to diirk over on toyhaulermagazine.com's forums...he can be found on rv.net in the toyhauler forums too.

he had a ridgerunner, and switched to a rhino

:dunno:

I actually searched the THmag forums and it looked like he decided to keep it. Also, given the dates on the postings, it was probably an 04 or 05 Ridge Runner. Now they use the 800 EFI motor. Much better ! !

MUDDY TO MEADOW RUN 04.19.2008

Yesterday, we did a run from Carp/Elgin Turnoff of I-15 (north of Logandale/Overton exit) to Panaca and back. Over 200 miles including some of the most beautiful sites and views in southern Nevada. Last year we had 9 Rhinos/Rangers and 3 Quads. This year, we had 18 Rhinos and 5 Quads and my buddy with the Blue Ridge Runner (Photo above). If I wasnt convinced before, I certainly am now. This thing went everywhere with NO 4WD more easily than we did with our 4WD UTV's.

Finally, when we hit the road from Elgin back to the trucks, my buddy started 10 minuted behind the rest of us and maybe 30 minutes later, he passed us all (running full out) like we were standing still.

This will definitely be my second ride. I hope that my wife will be satisfied with the Rhino. I'm saving and structuring the $$$ now and going to order one this summer for use in the fall. I am definitely sold ! ! ! ! !

diirk's RR was an '05 800 EFI, he subsequently had the engine ported and polished, went with a single exhaust with custom muffler, cold air intake, added a Power Commander, and installed a Heel Clicker clutch kit. He eventually sold it for a Rhino for the extra cockpit room. At the time it was touted as the fastest RR.

The 800's ARE better than the 700's in the dunes.

One solution that I heard about to alleviate over heated and broken belts while duning was to disconnect the EBS.

Edited by offroader