Help! I am from the east coast.....what is this sand thing you speak of...

ibthegator

Hi all!

Every year I plan a summer trip for me and my boys to go riding.

This coming summer it seems we might travel cross country to do some real dune riding.

We rode the dunes in Louisiana so we have a little taste (and I do mean little) of sand riding.

My questions are:

I have a newer Grizzly with ITP terra cross tires. Will this do ok or do I need to buy some type of paddle tire.

My kids are riding a 300ex and a hopped up trx90. I think they should be fine but my beast is so heavy I am worried the rear tires will dig to much.

We are thinking of camping a few nights at Dumont then a few near Glamis. Any suggestions?

Camper rental maybe?

We will be traveling by pick-up towing a trailer with the quads making stops along the way like moab for example.

I am in the very early stages of planning but I like to start early with something like this trip.

We have been away for 2 weeks riding but never 3 or 4 like this trip will be.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

gator

Hi all!

Every year I plan a summer trip for me and my boys to go riding.

This coming summer it seems we might travel cross country to do some real dune riding.

We rode the dunes in Louisiana so we have a little taste (and I do mean little) of sand riding.

My questions are:

I have a newer Grizzly with ITP terra cross tires. Will this do ok or do I need to buy some type of paddle tire.

My kids are riding a 300ex and a hopped up trx90. I think they should be fine but my beast is so heavy I am worried the rear tires will dig to much.

We are thinking of camping a few nights at Dumont then a few near Glamis. Any suggestions?

Camper rental maybe?

We will be traveling by pick-up towing a trailer with the quads making stops along the way like moab for example.

I am in the very early stages of planning but I like to start early with something like this trip.

We have been away for 2 weeks riding but never 3 or 4 like this trip will be.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

gator

Welcome to DDR! :dope:

first things first...you dont want to go to the dunes in the summertime. Both glamis and dumont are the the desert, with dumont being a mere 60 miles from death valley. summertime temps get into the 120's on a regular basis. the only way to do the dunes in the summer is late night, early morning, and even then, it is hot.

the only dunes in Ca that you can stay 3 days at is oceano dunes, in pismo beach. the dunes are on the ocean with temps in the 60s during the day

there are some dunes in Utah you could hit where it doesnt get too hot, like coral pink and little sahara, utah

dune season for us usually runs from early oct to late april for the desert dunes...you should try to make it out one new years or thanksgiving holiday

If I was coming out from back east I would hit the following locations, St. Anthony's Idaho, Oregon Dunes in several locations and on the way home hit Pismo mainly for the beach and a stop at Coral pink in Utah on the way back. I have ridden all these areas and in the summer they are fun and a lot cooler than the heat of Dumont and Glamis.

Thanks for the info.

I understand the summer is hot and it is a desert but summer is vacation time for us so we will have to suffer I guess. (or am I being an idiot)

Idaho has been a thought also but really we want the big stuff if we are coming cross country. We are planning on 3 weeks away from home and I figure 4 days out, 4 days back and the rest will be exploring and riding.

Who knows, we may not make it past Colorado or moab.

Thanks for the info.

I understand the summer is hot and it is a desert but summer is vacation time for us so we will have to suffer I guess. (or am I being an idiot) Idaho has been a thought also but really we want the big stuff if we are coming cross country. We are planning on 3 weeks away from home and I figure 4 days out, 4 days back and the rest will be exploring and riding.

Who knows, we may not make it past Colorado or moab.

You could possible die at Dumont or Glamis in the summer. Think about doing what ynot said. Head north not south if your going to come out here in the summer.

I understand and am thinking to change plans a little.

Now thinking to do st. anthony's, then little sahara then to moab and some filler days here and there.

Good thing is I have plenty of time to plan.

Also very much appreciate all info, thanks bunches.

"Idaho has been a thought also but really we want the big stuff if we are coming cross country."

St. Anthony are THE BIGGEST. And it will only be in the 90's up there. Dumont hits triple digits by April, 110's actually from personal experience in 03. Little Sahara Utah will be nice that time of year. Coral Pink will be iffy. Oregon and Pismo will be nice and Coastal.

St Anthonys are the best open dunes in the US by far.

"Idaho has been a thought also but really we want the big stuff if we are coming cross country."

St. Anthony are THE BIGGEST. And it will only be in the 90's up there. Dumont hits triple digits by April, 110's actually from personal experience in 03. Little Sahara Utah will be nice that time of year. Coral Pink will be iffy. Oregon and Pismo will be nice and Coastal.

St Anthonys are the best open dunes in the US by far.

I agree with you St Anthony's is the best in the summer! Big dunes and your grizzly will be fine there without paddles. You will not be able to climb the steepest dunes but you will be able to have a blast. lowwer your air pressure and you will do fine. People with big bikes and Rhinos go all the way out to devils bowl all the time.

I understand and am thinking to change plans a little.

Now thinking to do st. anthony's, then little sahara then to moab and some filler days here and there.

Good thing is I have plenty of time to plan.

Also very much appreciate all info, thanks bunches.

I took my first trip to St. Anthony last summer for forth of July.. It was stellar!!! Beautiful dunes nice hills nice bowls there are a couple little lakes right in the middle of the dunes so bad a$$..... They are a little strict on the camp no music after 10 but I will be going back for sure.... Haven't been to little Sahara I'm going for Easter I think but I hear it rocks!! :laughing::lol::laughoff::duniemonkie::clap:

if your going to make it all the way to the west coast I'd hit up oregon. Sand Lake, Coos Bay, Winchester Bay, Florence......tons of places to ride.

Check out This it has lists of a majority of rideable dunes and gives you all kinds of information. I.E. Directions, camping, services, atv rentals, weather..........

like ace said, coos bay is the best dunes by far for what yer gonna do. you can have a lot of fun with a grizz in the dunes in spite of what a lot of peeps think. coral pink in utah is second on my list. sand is sand until yuh git to coral pink tho....that sh*t is hard to get around in, and it's 5000 feet so jet them bikes for it. as for pismo, it's fun to vacation....a break from the summer heat but the dunes will dissapoint you. lots of other things to do in the area though. like that famous somebody er other said "go north young man, go north".

Yup, coming from Delaware.

Yup, we are crazy.

Killpecker huh, I'll make sure not to bring my wife there as she might get some ideas.

Born and raised in Baltimore County / Perry Hall. Moved out here twenty years ago. What part of Delaware are you from? :headbang1:

I know I have a lot of time but I was just talking with my boys about the route and where we should go first, spend more time, blah blah, blah.

I am think to do St Anthony's first like that if it is as awesome as I think we could spend as much time as we wanted there then worry about the other places when we are fried.

I have not looked yet but I am assuming we can ride all week long at St Anthony's can't we.

I am thinking to stay as much as a week there then venture to our other destinations.

Another thing, my boys ride dirtbikes also, would it be smart to bring these?

I am thinking to do so even though space will be tight.

Edited by ibthegator